Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

Car will not crank

My 530i refused to start yesterday !

Drove home at 11.30pm Saturday night, no issues - parked in garage, lights OFF, doors shut etc.

Tried to start car Sunday afternoon - no start --- strange thing was that the headlights flickered wildly, even though they were turned off, and lots of strange noises behind the dash ( relays? )

Would low voltage cause the headlights to flash etc / confused controller ??

I guess the battery is flat / low? But as it is one of theose Calcium ones, how do I charge it ?

I am gonna swap the battery from the 540i into the 530i to make sure it is just the battery .

If the Alternator was not charging, would I get more warning than this ?? No other problems at all until this.

Cheers

You will need to charge it properly with a special calcium battery charger. Then check alternator output and a battery discharge check, which, without the right gear you probably won't be able to do. This must be done in sleep mode to check if a control unit is discharging the battery.

Also, check the security of the battery terminals, that they are clean and tight.

Don't forget the earth strap that connects the battery to the chassis of the car, this came loose on my 540i

This is what mine did yesterday morning as well - word for word.... I was aware the battery was on the way out though (harder cranking it over recently etc).

Replacement battery and all good to go.

Finally got a chance and some daylight to swap the battery from the 540i into the 530i = good news is that the car started fine.

Tested the battery from the 530i on a load tester and the needle fell well into the BAD setting ! - Looks like a warranty replecement, as battery is less then 12mths old, and has a 3yr warranty.

It may not be a battery fault though as I suggested ^^^ up there.

The battery needs to be charged properly and then checked. If it was flat when you took it out it will not test properly.

Edited by *Glenn*

^^^^ seconded. You cannot load test a flat battery. It MUST be charged to be able to load test - a flat battery cannot deliver load - after all - it won't start the car