Sign in to follow this  
nath

Tuning an M10 318i?

Hi guys, I own a 1985 318i M10,

It would seem that a lot of people put up with starting/ running idosyncrasies in their cars, but I want mine to start/ idle and run as it did in 1985.

The car is a well- serviced 125,000km and hence i think my aim is not unreasonable.

I am aware of each of the tuning adjustments, from ignition timing through to AFM adjustments- but is there a sequence or simply facory specs for these?

Sometimes on start it wants a bit of gas to start and i want to eliminate this at least.

I believe I am on the right track so far, failing giving the car to a BMW workshop who arent interested in such small things on an old car.

Or should i still investigate something like fuel pressure?

Cheers kids

How much is "a bit of gas"?

The sophisticated warm up technology of your car includes ... an air bypass valve (lets air around the throttle plate when cold). That's it. 1985 wasn't the most awesome of technology, and a bit of gas might be your lot in life.

i had 2 m10's loved those old cars

i replaced everything and cleaned and tuned all sorts and it still needed just a touch on the throttle to start in the morning

as previously stated it older tech and wont start like the new stuff

i wouldnt be upset about having to touch the throttle a little for a start as long as shes running smooth and idling smooth

Hi, I have just listed a E30 workshop manual on trademe 301655996 , which gives you all the info you will ever need , over 200 pages on E30's

Cheers

A bit of gas means just that- a TOUCH on the throttle... as in only enough to squash an ant. Made me think it could be a TPS problem, but nup.

Yeah fair call on old tech, just thought that I may be able to get it more regular in its starting patterns... I like you, have checked/ replaced parts needing checking or replacing.... Which has actually been none that needed it, but I have replaced anyway.

Awesome thanks re: workshop manual, I will check out the auction.

I'm going to get the fuel pressure regulator tested some time when I get around to it....

Have been thinking that te pressure may be dropping too far down at rest