Sign in to follow this  
master garion

warning light on E46 ***AFM faulty

This warning light just came on today while the missus was driving. Is this the main "Check Engine" light? Car's a 2001 E46 320i Jap import.

1. The manual (in japanese) says something about engine warning light/emissions/gas etc (translated by a mate who's Japanese is shite btw)

2. The US version of the manual says it's a "Service Engine Soon" light on Canadian models.

The car's booked in with BM Workshop for Mon morning but thought I'd see if I can narrow it down first.

Cheers

post-5440-1278659839.jpg

Edited by master garion

I'm probably wrong but isn't that the CEL? (check engine light)

I'm probably wrong but isn't that the CEL? (check engine light)

check engine light it is , just had the same fault on the missis car and it was air flow meter.

The light means go get an ODBII scan done and have the codes read. Go see ray / Hellbm (on the shore) or glenn Botany motorworx (south akl).. they have the equipment to do this.

So now the light goes out after I fill up with gas......Low fuel = Check Engine Light?? Anyways will find out tomorrow after i get it plugged in at BM Workshop.

Does the E46 check for the fuel cap being in place??

I seem to remember hearing something like this a while back in the US (not specifically BMW related, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if it applied to these as well). Something about hydrocarbon emissions - same reason they use the vapour nozzle over the fuel pump filler.

Turns out to be the air flow meter returning a "too lean" reading. No air leaks found by BM Workshop. Conclusion is that the air flow meter is faulty. I told them to clean the AFM. They said the AFM looked spotless but they did as instructed. So now just wait and see if the code comes up again. Cost of replacement approx $900!!

Anyone familiar with this problem?

check engine light it is , just had the same fault on the missis car and it was air flow meter.

did you end up replacing the AFM?