Sign in to follow this  
350chevy

Leaky bleeder screw on E39

Morning, I have 1999 BMW 525i. The wife got home yesterday and noticed steam coming from the front of the car. I told her not to drive it until I could see what was up with it when I got home.

We had been to Masterton the day before and I thought I got a whiff of that sweet smell of antifreeze but could not see any leaks, so thought it came from the overflow. (Silly me)

I started up the engine after refilling the radiator, turned the heater on to full heat and after a while noticed water leaking the bleeder screw on the Thermostat top hose unit.

I called a good friend who talk me through a couple tests and he mentioned that was a common fault with this model where the Thermostat top hose unit cracks where the bleeder screws goes in.

Is this correct?

This car had the radiator and water pump replaced 6 months ago and had all new BMW parts installed including the thermostat after the original W\P ceramic propeller let go.

I am hoping the only issue this time is the cracked “Thermostat top hose unit and hoping it is a common issue to put my mind at rest. All replies greatly received. Steve

Yes that is common and the bleeder screws themselves break as well. We always replace them when doing repairs to the cooling system.

Thanks Glen, I got AVS to order the part from Greys but it was the wrong part. Turns out the bleeder screw and plastic holder unit is part of the top hose. Greys have ordered this and it will here in my hot little hands tomorrow morning.

Any pointers on bleeding the system?

Steve

Edited by stevensp

Fill with coolant till it comes out the hose bleeder, refit bleed screw, start engine and top up expansion tank. Have heater on maximum hot on both sides, then turn the fan off. You shouldn't have any problems unless the auxillary (electric) water pump doesnt work or the heater tap diaphrams haven't collapsed. Run the motor till the bottom hose gets hot, thermostat open with radiator cap on. Allow to cool...top up coolant, road test, allow to cool and recheck.

Thanks Glenn, I'll let you know by posting here tomorrow the result. All sounds so simple!!

Thanks Glenn, I'll let you know by posting here tomorrow the result. All sounds so simple!!

Your car has the auxillary electric water pump, so if the heater tap is ok it virtualy self bleeds itself. You will see water coming out just under the neck of the expansion tank on the inside where the radiator cap goes with the ignition on. Run the motor for a short time with the radiator cap off and keep it topped up. Then fit the radiator cap and follow the above proceedure. We use a vacuum system filler to do this and save time.

Edited by *Glenn*

Got early this morning and arrived at Jeffs Grey's BMW only to find the part had not arrived from Auckland. I gave the parts guy my cell phone number and asked him to call me once it arrived. I also explained yesterday that I needed to get the car back on road by midday Thursday as my daughter has 8 friends coming down by train from Masterton and they staying with us for 3 days and are going to the Winter Jam concert We needed the BMW and my station wagon to pick everyone up from the railway station at 3pm (Today). Received a phone call from the parts department and they said

"Quote" The part was not picked up yesterday from BMW Auckland as someone forgot to call the courier and it will not be here until tomorrow unless they get it on "next Flight" out of Auckland. I asked them to do this and then was told “it still may not arrive until tomorrowâ€. NOT HAPPY. This is the third bad experience I have had from Jeff Grays. 2 with parts delivery and 1 with being charged over $120 to reset an airbag fault light. I removed the passenger’s seat airbag connector plug without disconnecting the battery first, so it only needed resetting. I told them this and it did not need checking first and just resetting but they did any how. NOT HAPPY. So my saga continues and I am going to have rent a minivan to get everyone back this afternoon.

Just made a phone call to Jeff Greys. My replacement part should be here by 2pm. this means I only lost 2 hours of work pay for the time I took off this morning. At least I can cancel the rental van I booked without any charge.

I should be able to get the car up and running by 4pm. Wife has told the group to shop for an extra hour to give me time to fit the top hose and bleed the the system.

Edited by stevensp

Hi there

anymore problems feel free to pop in or give us a call. we are Wellington based and would be more than happy to help you, we can source parts, be it genuine or aftermarket and provide a complimentary diagnostic scan with every repair.

cheers

Jon and Keren

JK Southern Euro

21 Palm Grove Berhampore

Wellington

04 3801089