Sign in to follow this  
Gunner

E36 Coupe Tail Light Problem

Okay I was giving my left tail light a clean as there was water getting into my boot from the loose gasket seal in it. I took all the bulbs out and tipped it upside down to get most of the water out. Put the bulbs back in and the obc gave a warning about the a tail light failure. Checked it and noticed that when i have my headlights on left part of the taillight (bulb when headlights are on) is not working. The inner 5w bulb is going but the 12w bulb isn't. Checked the connection and noticed that 1 of the 4 metal conductor tabs is missing. Must have lost it when i tipped out the water. I tried to solder a wire to 1 of the 4 prongs on the bulb holder and to the metal circuit part which i think the connection should have been made but it ended up shorting it and blowing a fuse.

My question is that if it is a simple fix by an electrician or basically do i have to buy a new tail light?.

It'll just be getting the right wire to solder it to. Sounds like you got the wrong one the first time, they are fairly confusing when you look at them.

Common problem....get new tail lights to fix it or 2nd hand good ones if you can find them.

thanks will try have a look at my other tail light to see where its connected to and give it another go otherwise i'll most likley be purchasing a new set of clear tails.