Sign in to follow this  
philwalter

E30 kick panel and tweeter removal

Wanting to replace the factory speakers and tweeters with some components. Is there a simple way to remove the kick panels to get to the speakers behind ? Had a bit of a poke around but didn't get very far.

And if anyone had any top quality 5.25 component speakers for sale I could be interested.

Thanks

post-5113-1279608071.jpg

there's a screw on the drivers side kick panel (red arrow), and the passengers side as well. Unscrew that.

passengers side has two bolts that holds the bonnet lever (blue arrow). Unsrew those.

Green circles bits is tucked into the interior seal bit. That seal tucks pillar lining and roof lining. Just pull the kick panel area seal back only, it will come pull off easily.

The speakers are secured by 3 screws. Depending on the speakers you got, the existing srew positions may need to be changed. A decent component speaker package should come with new screw mounts, that simply slides into the existing ones, but can change the distance between the srews.

Tweeters, if you got stock tweeter pods thats inside the mirror bits, use nail polish remover to dissolve any glue that holds the pods. Dont use too much. Or, i've read that you boil them in water to remove the old tweeters :wacko:. I'm not keen to try boiling method.

I bought some digital design 5.25 components for my e30 and I am highly impressed with them.

i got them on an online seller on trademe, he may still have some? let me know if you would like to to post a link.

Post up a link if you like mate, I think I remember seeing them also, but can't find them now. There are also some lower end Focal components for $200 a set as well.

My tweeters look to be factory ( triangular bits inside the car opposite the mirrows) how do I get the plastic off to get into the tweeter assembly. Do I need to take the door cards off. Don't want to break them - I figure they are probably hard to come by.

Thanks !

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=290318088 Maybe you can ask the buyer if they have more.

Focals would be a nice step up though. You may have luck with the forums on izicemag.co.nz

Regarding the tweeter pods, the plastic tabs at the back can break easily, I find you can carefully pry them off using your hands (rather than ramming a screwdriver in there) start up the top and lever out as the bottom of the panel sits behind the door card.

In the end, if you are doing a proper install you will want to remove the door card to put new wiring through for the tweeter.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=290318088 Maybe you can ask the buyer if they have more.

Focals would be a nice step up though. You may have luck with the forums on izicemag.co.nz

Regarding the tweeter pods, the plastic tabs at the back can break easily, I find you can carefully pry them off using your hands (rather than ramming a screwdriver in there) start up the top and lever out as the bottom of the panel sits behind the door card.

In the end, if you are doing a proper install you will want to remove the door card to put new wiring through for the tweeter.

Gouba, should I be removing this part as well from the pod or does that stay in for the aftermarket tweeter ?

post-1194-1279772897.jpg

You want as little between the tweeter and your ear. So if it can be removed without damaging the mesh front of the pod I would suggest it.