Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Aftermarket headlights for an E38

My 1999 E38 failed it's WOF the other day as the headlight beam on the left side was too low. The adjuster was stripped and BMW do not make a repair kit (nice!). Luckily Page European did a bit of modification and VTNZ passed the WOF.

However there are some very attractive LOOKING aftermarket lights available, some are halo style projectors using halogon, and some include a xenon HID. I see someone failed a WOF due to a HID aftermarket headlight.

Does anyone know of non HID replacement options that are quality, provide the more modern projector, halo look, and won't get the WOF failed?

Thanks ....... Jim

Quality wise aftermarket ones are shocking. They will never line up perfectly like the OEM and you might even run into issues with your Control Check but do share info if you find a decent pair :D

Quality wise aftermarket ones are shocking. They will never line up perfectly like the OEM and you might even run into issues with your Control Check but do share info if you find a decent pair :D

Lot's of obviously cheap and nasty ones on ebay, and a couple of auctions on trademe trying to pass as suitable for 95 to 02 when they obviously are only from pre 99, - $499 for a pair. Seller has adjusted the auction, they are 95-98 lights as I suspected.

The E38's did have some that came with low beam HID's but the fitting instructions for an OEM unit are daunting. I'll be looking for new black projector style headlights with halo / angle eyes, and conventional halogon lamps.

I'll post if I find a good source.

Jim

Edited by jimbo