Sign in to follow this  
nickbawt

e34 interior lights surging

Hey guys

Well I've tried googlng but no one else is having the same symptoms as I am. Basically when I start the car, the bulbs behind the dash gauges, bulbs behind the obc buttons, bulbs behind the temp control/fan speed and under my hazard light button surges from normal down to very dim and sometimes cuts out all together. However, the bulbs behind my lcd display in the dash and behind my obc lcd and stereo are totally unaffected, as to are all exterior lights. I've checked all fuses and battery terminal connections, I believe it could be an earthing issue.. But that is a guess.

I forgot to mention that after a few k's everything returns to normal.. Bizarre.

Could anyone shed any ideas on the problem? Google suggested it my be the lkm, ignition switch or faulty battery terminals but as its only for those mentioned bulbs, not the whole car It makes me think it may be something relatively simple.. Or so I hope.

Sorry for any typos, Wrote this in my phone.

Any advice would be great,

Nick

Edited by nickbawt

faulty dimmer control , needs replacing or maybe some wd40 if its the old style one with a wire wound resistor not the circuit board type

faulty dimmer control , needs replacing or maybe some wd40 if its the old style one with a wire wound resistor not the circuit board type

Do you know where the dimmer control is located and how much a replacement would cost?

on the dash beside the light switches , dial you turn up and down .

one side is for angle of head lights the other is for dimming the dash lights

$25

post-279-1280212980.jpg

sometimes if you just adjust them up and down a few times every time you get in the car,for a few day it cleans itself up.

Excellent advice Paul :P

Good old e34s :)

it works my dash lights used to be either full bright or off.Now i have full adjustment

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys. Ill give it a go and let you know if it works.

Just for anyone's information who has this problem in the future, dimmer switch was at fault. Replaced and now everything's back to normal.

Easy fix! Thanks again Brent.

Now, whats next to go wrong! Place bets now..

Just for anyone's information who has this problem in the future, dimmer switch was at fault. Replaced and now everything's back to normal.

Easy fix! Thanks again Brent.

Now, whats next to go wrong! Place bets now..

shimmy