Sign in to follow this  
Coffee&Doughnut

M20 B20

I have a 88 320i sport , with a good motor recent timing belt change.

Could probally swap in a 325i engine ... but has anybody bored and stroked the 2.0 to

2.3 I have heard that is all you can do to increase the B20 engine.

Can parts be sourced from an earlier 323i M20 engine? :unsure:

for the price that you would spend doing that it wouldnt be worth it, ur prolly best of doing a 2.7/2.5 conversion. Have a look in performance forum and there is a sticky made by gus on how to do it.

Saying all this tho, i dont know much bout M20s, M30s rock my world, you could always do a 3.5 m30 swap :mosh:

sparks

they all use same block, so you could stroke to 2.7, and coincidentally i have the bits ya need for it...theres an article here http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showtopic=2664

and the bits you need here

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showtopic=2594

makes it easy doesnt it!

I read that article, I have a copy of that issue, initially I thought I understood that what would be required was the cylinder head from a 325i, 325e or 525e and a forged crankshaft.

But I was led to believe that the 320i block was not suitable by some other source?

So I was a bit confused about the feasability.

So you reckon, one of those heads and a crankshaft is a good start?

:unsure:

the 320 head isnt perfect, but it will do the job

the only differences in the block is the 'steam holes' which provide extra cooling....they not a big deal i imagine unless you plan some crazy mods...but the article is aimed at 320i owners wanting more, because going from 2.5-2.7 isnt really a huge diff

Its gonna take me some time to get around to this, for the

sake of keeping the viehcle closer to original it appeals to me. When I thought about

swapping the engine I was told the 320i engine wasnt much sought after and therefore

I couldnt expect much for it if I tryed to sell it , which made me think, I should be able to buy one pretty cheap then. So to enable me to keep it on the road while having the work done maybe I will source a seperate motor first or car.....

If a 2.5 conversion was done could you use the stock 325i pistons, would it be a bit more straight forward? I have virtually no expereince pulling apart or rebuilding an engine. So excuse me for all the questions, just trying to do some research. :mellow: