Sign in to follow this  
ler4_war

H.I.D Headlights

By saying HID replacements, I presume you mean up-rated filament bulbs (or so called xenon bulb)?

I recently bought some from SuperCheapAuto, the brand is Calibre in blue packaging. It was the "Plus50 + White" version, I was pleasantly surprised with how good it is. The guys in the shop said they are E-marked with UV glass and made in Germany and only cost $49. Compare to Philips branded one from Repco cost over $80. My car uses H7 though, so the price might be different for your application.

i havent tried xenon bulb for my car but with my previous car i tried xenon bulb but it wasnt that bright; the yellow stocks were brighter. and for h.i.d replacements. what i meant was using Ballast+Bulbs..

I've seen a touring in NZ with factory HID's. Had different light housings and had headlight washers.

I suspect they might have been aftermarket Nick - but next time if you see it again grab a pic for us. I agree that headlight washers are generally indicative of HIDs as they are legally required for factory HIDs, but they were a European option hence you see them on UK cars etc. And if they were factory you'd think that there would be a fair few for sale on eBay Germany etc as most cars in Europe have HIDs.

here's a picture of my headlights, dont think its projector type..

Your car has the parabolic headlights which should use a H7 bulb. This tends to be the type on E36 Compacts (Ti). The other shapes (coupe, sedan, touring) came with the ellipsoids which have a projector and use H1.

E36 headlights take H1 bulbs. 12V 55W.

Your car has the parabolic headlights which should use a H7 bulb. This tends to be the type on E36 Compacts (Ti). The other shapes (coupe, sedan, touring) came with the ellipsoids which have a projector and use H1.

so nick and Mpulsive: is it H1 or H7? mine is an E36 3.16i compact (1995)..

pull the bulb out and read it to be sure? Easy as, just don't touch the glass.

sometimes it's written on the housing.

i havent tried xenon bulb for my car but with my previous car i tried xenon bulb but it wasnt that bright; the yellow stocks were brighter. and for h.i.d replacements. what i meant was using Ballast+Bulbs..

You are right, whiter (higher K-degree) doesn't mean brighter (higher lumens). It's why I went for the Plus-50 version of the white bulb. So I get an upgrade in both aspects.

My e36 uses H1 in both high and low beam, which has a Bosch ellipsoid housing.

Great! I'll be visiting supercheapauto this weekend and check for the calibre plus50+ white. thanks

i still have another problem with bulbs. i noticed that my LEFT REAR BACKUP LIGHT was not working, i thought it was just the bulb and tried to change the bulb and it still doesnt work. do you have any recommendations?

** i just bought this car last week.. :) and i find BMW very great, nice smooth riding comfort and stability.. :)

Check the holder for corrosion. make sure the bulb has seated correctly, ect.

just visited SUPER CHEAP AUTO this afternoon and was looking for CALIBRE Plus 50+ super white, unfortunately there were some available but of different sizes.. darn..

**guys i just had a look at my headlights and the size was HB3 (lowbeam) and HB4 (highbeam); so i guess its not H1 nor H7.. :(

Hella do an ultra (from memory) in HB3 & 4

I have these in the E39

You are right, whiter (higher K-degree) doesn't mean brighter (higher lumens). It's why I went for the Plus-50 version of the white bulb. So I get an upgrade in both aspects.

My e36 uses H1 in both high and low beam, which has a Bosch ellipsoid housing.

what do you think about this one guys?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-310232575.htm

I would not be putting 100w bulbs into your car. It is not set up for the extra current draw load that 100watt place on the system

I would not be putting 100w bulbs into your car. It is not set up for the extra current draw load that 100watt place on the system

i think the input of that one is 55w/60w and the output is a 100w.. that i have to check.. but if this is the case what do you think? i really like to have a super white headlight

i think the input of that one is 55w/60w and the output is a 100w.. that i have to check.. but if this is the case what do you think? i really like to have a super white headlight

No such thing - it is output. It is either 55, 60 or 100w output

They are single filament so not 60/55 which indicates dual

The 100w bulb is nearly double the current draw - the lighting system is not designed for that extra load.

Besides the extra current draw, the glass looks way too blue judging from the photo. It may give you the white colour but will not give you the brightness.

There is no mentioning of them being E-marked (to be road legal in Europe) or having UV-glass (to prevent clouding up plastic light housing), I would be very cautious towards those bulbs if I were you.

Besides the extra current draw, the glass looks way too blue judging from the photo. It may give you the white colour but will not give you the brightness.

There is no mentioning of them being E-marked (to be road legal in Europe) or having UV-glass (to prevent clouding up plastic light housing), I would be very cautious towards those bulbs if I were you.

Don't think I could have put it better myself.... And as Hotwire says, at 100W you will start melting stuff like wiring etc. These look like more trouble than they are worth to me.

hmm do you guys know where i can buy calibre plus 50 white headlights for HB3, they dont have stock here in supercheap auto in wanganui. or do you know any alternative(brand) that is good? i really like white head lights, too bad i cant put h.i.d with ballast.. i really like the 6000K.

Did you ask them at the parts desk if they can order them in?