Sign in to follow this  
ler4_war

H.I.D Headlights

Hi, I'm just new in New Zealand and decided to buy a 1995 3.16i Compact. i was Just wondering if i can install HID (High Intensity Discharge) Headlights here in New Zealand or is it illegal? Thanks. Cheers!

post-6037-1280821498.jpg

post-6037-1280821505.jpg

Yep, they're also really annoying and dangerous to other motorists.

If E36's came with factory HID's you can fit the factory HID's into your car, but I don't think they do.

Hi, I'm just new in New Zealand and decided to buy a 1995 3.16i Compact. i was Just wondering if i can install HID (High Intensity Discharge) Headlights here in New Zealand or is it illegal? Thanks. Cheers!

i want some hid's i recon then mean but how hard r they to install?

Its really rather a grey area, often dependent on the discretion of the Police (if they do pull you over) or your WOF service. Technically the E36 was never designed with the use of HID units. A mate of mine did get a fine due to installation of HID on his car and "green sticker'ed"...after he had passed on his WOF...

i want some hid's i recon then mean but how hard r they to install?

Not too hard, but some units causes electronic warning lights on the dash. What I dont like about HID and Angel Eyes is that you have to split open the headlight unit, which means if you dont seal it properly, you get moisture in there =(

From the NZTA website:

HID conversion kits (an HID bulb with a high voltage power unit or ‘ballast’ which fits into the original headlamp unit in place of the original bulb with no change to the headlamp lens, reflector or housing) are illegal on any vehicle being used on New Zealand roads.

However, a complete halogen headlamp unit can be replaced with a complete HID headlamp unit provided that the replacement headlamp unit complies with approved standards. If in doubt, get advice from a vehicle lighting retailer you trust.

So basically, fitting HIDs properly is very expensive and I don't believe there are any legal kits for the E36 anyway.

Best advice is... don't do it.

Not too hard, but some units causes electronic warning lights on the dash. What I dont like about HID and Angel Eyes is that you have to split open the headlight unit, which means if you dont seal it properly, you get moisture in there =(

i completely disassembled my headlights and cleaned them up and it made a hell of a difference and if you do it right you get no moisture problems.... i have none and they look mint now! not all dull and dusty! clear like Brand new ones! took me 3 hours and a night to dry and it saved me like 300 bux!

As stated before,

Facts:

* Late model e36 cars had an HID headlight and ballast system option availible, there for making it legal in a e36 in NZ

* NZ Law prohibits aftermarket HID headlight systems being installed into vehicles, if you install a e36 OEM projector headlight and ballast system into your car its legal.

* You will fail a WOF if you have a HID ballast system installed into a non projector housing. (standard headlights)

* Your projector system must have left hand 'side walk flare' Right hand flare is prohibited

* if your model of vehicle didnt come with HID and projector housing, it is illegal to install projector and HID for road use.

Some of this stuff is obviously blanket across all vehicles.

What makes it dangerous for other road users is people installing aftermaket ballast systems into non projector housings, installing left hand drive side walk flare head lights, installing project headlights with no vertical adjustment.

Josh, that's interesting.

So your interpretation is that any E36 with standard projector headlights could install an HID kit (ballasts etc) and this is ok?

I know I did this on a previous E36 but wasn't sure if it was legal (even though it had clean cut-offs etc).

It is a very grey area.

* Your projector system must have left hand 'side walk flare' Right hand flare is prohibited

how do you find this out?

So your interpretation is that any E36 with standard projector headlights could install an HID kit (ballasts etc) and this is ok?

I know I did this on a previous E36 but wasn't sure if it was legal (even though it had clean cut-offs etc).

It is a very grey area.

No, what he's saying is that HID headlights were an option on E36 cars. If you can find a set of factory E36 HID projector lights, you can install them in your car.

Installing HID ballasts and lamps in to your regular old E36 headlights is definitely illegal.

It is a very grey area.

What mark said above. The reason its illegal as there is no masking of the xenon light which ends up scattering and its almost like having high beam on. The projector inverts the light and backing plate mask upside down so the light appears the right way up (on the road and out to the left) The mask leaves a crisp definded line as not too blind other drivers.

Using a bowl shaped reflector system doesnt mask the light properly (even with a bowl or lens setup for side walk flare)

how do you find this out?

The hard way (failed a warrent) ... I ended up converting my US e46 lights to left hand side walk flare (reversed my masking plate inside the projector housing) After I did this and they re-tested my lights it past and has done for the past 3 years.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought at the time too.

Just wanted to clarify!

Good discussion though, as it's something that should be sorted out.

HID kits on TradeMe are ridiculously cheap now.

No, what he's saying is that HID headlights were an option on E36 cars. If you can find a set of factory E36 HID projector lights, you can install them in your car.

Installing HID ballasts and lamps in to your regular old E36 headlights is definitely illegal.

... installing left hand drive side walk flare head lights ...

I've seen some cars with a really blinding (ie looks like full beam) light on the right side of their car but normal-ish looking left headlight

I wonder if they've installed a left hand drive hid kit

anyway, those aftermarket hid's are goddamn everywhere

I sure do love been blinded while driving, it makes it oh so much more interesting

I honestly don't know how so many people have a problem with HID's.

I haven't had any problem with being blinded by retrofit HID's. I can't recall once where I've actually been blinded or even just thought about them. The only cases I can recall of being blinded are by factory HID's. Was being followed by an E46 M3 and I couldn't look in the rear view mirror as it was so bad. Other cases are mainly 4wd's.

I sit low in the car aswell. Weird.

The ones in reflector style housings are shocking!

Ie brighter than a normal car's high beams.

The worst I've seen is a Landcruiser Prado with an HID kit.

I honestly don't know how so many people have a problem with HID's.

I haven't had any problem with being blinded by retrofit HID's. I can't recall once where I've actually been blinded or even just thought about them. The only cases I can recall of being blinded are by factory HID's. Was being followed by an E46 M3 and I couldn't look in the rear view mirror as it was so bad. Other cases are mainly 4wd's.

I sit low in the car aswell. Weird.

Nick & Josh, whereabouts did you hear about HIDs being a factory option on later E36s? As AFAIK the only proper HID option for the E36 (i.e. with projectors actually designed for HIDs) is the Hella CELIS xenon which is aftermarket.

Factory HIDs should be the least glaring as they were designed to spread the beam properly. If a factory HID car is causing glare it means they're not aimed properly. Similarly, you can reduce glare from a HID retrofit by aiming it lower but then it defeats the purpose of having the extra lumens in the first place. From what I've noticed, HID 'retrofits' (i.e. re-based H1 kits instead of a proper retrofit using the D2S/D2R bulbs and HID projectors/reflectors) are worse when put into a reflector headlight than a projector.

I've seen a touring in NZ with factory HID's. Had different light housings and had headlight washers.

You're correct there Yuen. HID's into Reflector housings are absolutely no doubt dangerous, I'm completely on board with that. Thats because the HID beam isn't focused at all and is reflected everywhere. With a projector housing the beam is focused somewhat through the projector. Installing HID's into reflector housings also defeat the purpose of higher light output as all the light is spread everywhere and not focused.

Hi guys, wow! thanks for the replies.. what a good thread.. anyway bottom line is that when your headlights are not projector type then you cannot place h.i.d (w/ballast).,

well if you've replaced your headlight with an aftermarket projector type, you can now put h.i.d(w/ballast)?

here's a picture of my headlights, dont think its projector type..

post-6037-1280920215.jpg

Edited by Leroy1985

Yours are reflector type mate. Very dangerous to other road users to put HID's in.

It is illegal to put a HID kit in any standard Halogen housing full stop (reflector or projector).

The only way you can legally do it is to find a wrecked E36 with HID's from factory and retrofit the whole system into your car. Or purchase complete aftermarket HID housings from the likes of Umnitza.

follow up question,,

what bulb type does an E36 316i compact 1995 (see pic above) have? thanks.. :D

E36 headlights take H1 bulbs. 12V 55W.

hi nick, thanks for the replies. youve been a lot of help.. where can i get aftermarket h.i.d replacements? because what i want with my bulb is like a clear one with no lines of some sort(like frosted). i like it clear,, and with cheap but reasonable good looking angel eyes, thanks..

By saying HID replacements, I presume you mean up-rated filament bulbs (or so called xenon bulb)?

I recently bought some from SuperCheapAuto, the brand is Calibre in blue packaging. It was the "Plus50 + White" version, I was pleasantly surprised with how good it is. The guys in the shop said they are E-marked with UV glass and made in Germany and only cost $49. Compare to Philips branded one from Repco cost over $80. My car uses H7 though, so the price might be different for your application.