Sign in to follow this  
bmaguy

how low do i go?

ok ive had my e36 320i for a week now... and ive worked out that its slow.. thats ok.. now seen its going to be abit more of a "roller" ive got sum 18"Ss being shiped over.. now im thinking how low can i get this baby on my 18's. im looking a spending upto 1k on doing this. ps.. i can fit it my self it that helps. what do you guys i can do for 1k? :rolleyes:

almost get some konis if you want to spend another hundy or so

dont go lower than 100mm ground clearance, and remember add another $250 - $300 (dependant on who you see) for a cert.. hahaha!

18" as long as they aint chrome its cool

Compressing standard springs will get you the best results on the cheap. If you keep the front springs at least 240mm high and the back at least 190 mm they will be captive and will have your chassis scraping on everything. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I've got a pair of rear springs forsale.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showtopic=2868

I imagine they are pretty low as they came with my coilover kit, but I didn't use them as I have a E30.

The box said 50mm lowering.

ok sweet.. how low will this take me? i would like the rims [18's] to be under the gards at the back :D
???

Measure from you wheel center up to the arch, then take ~50mm off that and that's where it will sit, roughly, usually takes a bit of time for the springs to settle into the pads etc...

Bearing that in mind if it is too low or too high you can add/remove the spring pads to suit.

Bearing that in mind if it is too low or too high you can add/remove the spring pads to suit.

spring pads? is this a bmw thing? ;)
yip, they have rubber pads at the top & bottom of the spring, they come in a variety of different thicknesses. (5 to 15mm)

yip, they have rubber pads at the top & bottom of the spring, they come in a variety of different thicknesses. (5 to 15mm)
oh ok sweet so has the rear just got that or the frount got it 2?

i got a set of m-sport springs, they are aprox 15mm highier than my car is at the moment... :( oh u piked out like me and went for 18" instead of 19" :lol:

BTW u can get the m-sport ones compressed, and it will tuck 18"

the BMW, "SHALOW" )black m-sport on 18" has compressed M3 springs and it sits nice as.

Edited by 1N STYL

Guest Andrew

oh ok sweet so has the rear just got that or the frount got it 2?
front may have it also -

its pretty noisy when you take out spring pads (I don't run any)

You have to ask yourself the question, what do you really want ?

Bmw is known as having some of the best handling charateristics for rear wheel drive vehicles in the world ... that is .. until the set up is changed.

Forget re-compressing the standard springs .. its just plain dodgey.

When lowering a vehicle there is a thing as too low .. you can actually totally stuff the handling of the car buy going too low IE your camber and toe changes .. causing understeer and loosing your infamous BMW 50/50 split

Im about to have new springs installed tomorrow in the e46 .. my tyres will sit down so I cant get my fingers under the gaurd .. but its till high enough to have the amount of travel I want for comfort factor.

With 18s on an e36 you would want no more than a 35-40mm drop.. anything else will look silly (IMO :D ) and actually start to go backwards handling wise. Your rear will have a tuck under the gaurd and the front you would want it to sit so when you look at the wheel .. it will run the same 'curve' as the gaurd.

Your rear will have a tuck under the gaurd and the front you would want it to sit so when you look at the wheel .. it will run the same 'curve' as the gaurd.

yes im after the tuck :D^_^

and with 18s which are almost certainly heavier than standard it will be even slower... :huh: .Dont worry i mean the speed limit is 100 ks and anything over 120 is asking for it....a lot of roads even 100 is too fast.Its your car so dont worry what us anal bimmer freaks think,just think though about the real world,you dont want to be scraping your bodywork on speed humps kerbs(sometimes you have to drive over kerbs) etc,so dont go REALLY low...my 2c ....enjoy your new car

Your rear will have a tuck under the gaurd and the front you would want it to sit so when you look at the wheel .. it will run the same 'curve' as the gaurd.

I'll be doing a massive before and after thread tomorrow sometime of my ****en 4 month wait on my wheels and suspension :D

let ya'll know tomorrow :D

I'll be doing a massive before and after thread tomorrow sometime of my ****en 4 month wait on my wheels and suspension :D

let ya'll know tomorrow :D

sweet man i'dd be keen to see the outcome :)

[and why would i do that??] If you want your rear guards over yor rims like you've said you will scrape on everything you drive over. There are no 2 ways about it. :gay:

[and why would i do that??] If you want your rear guards over yor rims like you've said you will scrape on everything you drive over. There are no 2 ways about it. :gay:

im looking at haveing the gards in line or just over my rims.. i had this on my e30 with 17" wheels and it was fine :):blush:

my 320 wit selbys springs from s.a.s($350).doesnt scrape except for really big bumps and thats wit 17,s!standard shocks are buggered at the back tho so rides like crap! :bounce: :bounce:

post-2-1111114006.jpg

i think that might be a bit of a trick ali,looks like the farside wheels are up on the grass which will make this side look lower than it really is????

i think that might be a bit of a trick ali,looks like the farside wheels are up on the grass which will make this side look lower than it really is????

I was thinking that to, but when i tried to do that it didn't really work that well, maybe cause they are 17" looks lower?? :huh::unsure: