Sign in to follow this  
Furai

New Member Still to get first car....

Hey guys,

My name is Kieran im one of Jackos friends and im looking at getting my first car($800 At the moment :D )

And he has been sucking me into a 3 series E30 which I quite like, So hello and sorry for my lack of knowledge and money :lol: But getting a BMW should be better than the Subaru Ace 700cc 3cyl Im looking at!

i would recommend a steady income before INVESTING in a bmw :) good luck

Welcome

i would recommend a steady income before INVESTING in a bmw :) good luck

Sadly yes, to be honest, otherwise it will go very wrong, very quickly.

As they say, there is no such thing as a cheap BMW. ^_^

Edited by Mike-E36

Like the enthusiasm Keiran..

As the others have said be prepared to spend money on it, not saying its going to break all the time but chances are you will fall in love with the E30 and want to do all sorts of mods to it.

E30 is far more superior to the Subi Ace your looking at and most other cars of the same vintage.

Luckily a lot of the really crap E30's have gone to the dump now, but there are still a few around but a lot of really mint ones around so try get your hands on a well spec'd or at least a mint one, you will thank me for it later.

Dont let anyone put you off getting one.. My first car was a E30 and everytime I sell one I want to get another one.

Welcome by the way..

I look at it this way, if you want a car that starts every time and runs ok and requires little more than oil/filter changes and other routine maintenance than don't buy an old BMW.

If you go into it with your eyes wide open and are OK with a car that will break down a fair bit, and will always need money/time spent on it then an E30 is a good bet. Also they are relatively cheap to get parts for, and easyish to work on.

If I read your original post correctly and you are looking at spending $800 on a car, then don't set your sights to high on the reliability/condition chart.

Hey guys, Thanks for the response. I see what you mean about wanting to modify an E30 if I got one but that was gonna happen even if I bought that Ace( I would want at least 100hp :D ) I am aware of ongoing costs and such but $800 is just for starters. I am looking for a job at the moment but I have to admit I am a Mazda fan so an E30 might not last long but I love their look and simplicity. I wouldn't go for anything bigger engined than the 318 probably as I want insurance to be fairly easy. Thanks for the advice guys I will keep saving and print off some more CV's!