Sign in to follow this  
milky

Poor radio reception

Hey all.

I know the windscreen mounted aerials aren't flash but the one on the e46 I have is ridiculous. I have better reception in my commodore that I snapped the aerial off and haven't had a change to replace yet.

I understand there is an amplifier on the aerial signal? Is it possible that this is damaged and needs replacement?

Hey all.

I know the windscreen mounted aerials aren't flash but the one on the e46 I have is ridiculous. I have better reception in my commodore that I snapped the aerial off and haven't had a change to replace yet.

I understand there is an amplifier on the aerial signal? Is it possible that this is damaged and needs replacement?

Is it a jap import car with a band expander? If so - reception will be sh*t!

These cars normally have very good reception

Is it a jap import car with a band expander? If so - reception will be sh*t!

These cars normally have very good reception

it was yes. but we have since changed the radio which improved it ever so slightly but its still terrible. cuts out completely around east auckland,

I actually wonder whether its even connected to the aerial (its connected to the headunit)

Factory head unit or aftermarket?

Silly question but... has the band expander been removed?

Factory head unit or aftermarket?

Silly question but... has the band expander been removed?

after market head unit and of course the band expander is removed. There is an adapter from the European areal plug to nz one but those are pretty standard.

Its honestly worse than the commodore with a broken aerial almost as bad as it not being plugged in at all

only other thing i was thinking is do we have to supply power to the aerial amp or would it be wired to the ignition?

Edited by milky

"of course the band expander was removed" I have seen many case where it hasn't been when a radio replaced.

Yes the aerial amplifier requires power. Therein may lay your problem. Was this connected when the radio replaced?

"of course the band expander was removed" I have seen many case where it hasn't been when a radio replaced.

Yes the aerial amplifier requires power. Therein may lay your problem. Was this connected when the radio replaced?

fair enough. but im not quite that bad though.

the factory radio was removed and a "loom adapter" used. I cant remember whether the aux wire was connected to anything in the factory loom however sceptical because if anything the reception improved with the removal of band expander and factory head unit, and surely the factory unit was powering the aerial amplifier... or are they one off the terrible ones that do it down the aerial antenna wires?

the antenna amps are behind the c pillar trim aren't they? do you know what side? might have to have a looksies with my multimeter and see what i can see.

cheers for you help i do appreciate it

should have the blue aerial/remote (12volts out from the radio when turned on) power wire conected to the thin white aerial amp power wire to remotly turn the booster on.

bring it down to work if you like i can check it for you .

if you are near us

Hey all.

Depending on your E46 you will have 1, 2 or 2 FM antennas

If more than 1 FM antenna is fitted, the Antenna Amplifier is also a Diversity Switch

Multiple FM antennas increase the reception performance hugely, BUT the original OEM antenna amplifier can only be controlled by an original BMW OEM radio

Change the radio, and the 3 x antennas default to antenna #1. With no means of activating the diversity function.

The antenna amplifier also needs 12V power, check you have the power supply connected. Especially true when you have changed the radio.

The antenna amp can be powered from ignition power, it does not need to be powered only when radio is on.

And of course:

1. If a band expander is fitted, remove and destroy it

2. Check for cable continuity in the antenna coax cable from radio to antenna amp. Sometimes the center wire breaks off at the DIN plug behind the radio in the dashboard

Hey all.

I had a very similar problem with my E46 - with Johen's help we tracked it down to a fault with the aerial connector that plugs into the back of the head unit. My reception went from lousy to probably the best I have had in any car.

I had a very similar problem with my E46 - with Johen's help we tracked it down to a fault with the aerial connector that plugs into the back of the head unit. My reception went from lousy to probably the best I have had in any car.

yeah that felt a bit sloppy too. was tempted to cut it off and wire a standard nz plug there so we don't need the adapter anymore