Sign in to follow this  
sammcj2000

Help! A tap broke off inside a coolant hose!

I'm a bit stuck as to what to do here...

I have a 96' 328i Coupe (Which I'm selling) and after arriving at my destination last night, I noticed a bit of steam from the bonnet, upon inspection a hose had come off near the heater control valves at the side that plugs into the tap on the firewall.

Today I had a proper look and the tap has broken off inside the hose! What on earth do I do - there is no way I can attach the hose back on until the tap is replaced.

I have the M50 intake manifold installed which makes it even harder to get to the taps.

-Is this easy?

-If not, can you recommend anyone affordable in Christchurch that could fix it / give me a quote?

post-1812-1281750856.jpg

I'm a bit stuck as to what to do here...

I have a 96' 328i Coupe (Which I'm selling) and after arriving at my destination last night, I noticed a bit of steam from the bonnet, upon inspection a hose had come off near the heater control valves at the side that plugs into the tap on the firewall.

Today I had a proper look and the tap has broken off inside the hose! What on earth do I do - there is no way I can attach the hose back on until the tap is replaced.

I have the M50 intake manifold installed which makes it even harder to get to the taps.

-Is this easy?

-If not, can you recommend anyone affordable in Christchurch that could fix it / give me a quote?

You any good with a tap and die set ? make a thread going into it, plumbers will have a pipe that will fit in there with thread also. But once your done doing that, you might wanna way up the ease of just buying a new one. I personally would tap and die a new one in there, since we have the tools, and STUPID things like this happen all the time with us !

You any good with a tap and die set ? make a thread going into it, plumbers will have a pipe that will fit in there with thread also. But once your done doing that, you might wanna way up the ease of just buying a new one. I personally would tap and die a new one in there, since we have the tools, and STUPID things like this happen all the time with us !

Yikes, I'm OK with re-tapping but don't have a set (that large) and I'd have to pull off the whole intake manifold.

Since I'm looking to get this fixed quickly it might be best to take it to someone that can have it for a day or two.

Problem is, who's cheap and reliable in CHCH? I don't trust half the buggers here!

In the mean time, motorbiking to work isn't such a bad thing.

Yikes, I'm OK with re-tapping but don't have a set (that large) and I'd have to pull off the whole intake manifold.

Since I'm looking to get this fixed quickly it might be best to take it to someone that can have it for a day or two.

Problem is, who's cheap and reliable in CHCH? I don't trust half the buggers here!

In the mean time, motorbiking to work isn't such a bad thing.

i dont trust people either with regards to mechanical prices especially on things like this. Find out a rough estimate quote by calling round 3 or so places, telling them the most accessible way to fix it is to re thread the hole and replace it manually, then way that up with buying a suitable thread / or borrowing, im sure a bimmersporter in CHCH will have a tap / die set that they can come round with for some beers, and then just suit out the pipe first, so you can get the corresponding tap / die

as i said, way it up, if they can fix it for under 100, which im sure they can, just wack it on through, since all they have to do is what you would do.

you may find you get a respectable price, if you ring up and say, this is what i need you to do etc.