Sign in to follow this  
htra024

E46 328Ci 2000

Hi,

I have so much troubles with my E46 328Ci 2000. After this time, i am going to sell this piece of sht.

In the morning, my mate drove my car, stoped, turned off and drove back home without any problems. Problems seemed starting in the lunch time when I got back to the car in my garage, I turned the key to start, nothing happened. The engine did not start, the starter did not crank and did not turn the engine over. Dash light, head light still on and bright. Tested horn and still loud, electronic still on, stereo still work and air con still run hence battery isnt a issue in my opinion.

I tried many time and about 5 mins later, it worked and the car started. I went to the market, I stopped and turn off the car for around an hour then I started the car and drove back home without any problems. However, I need to use the car tonight, I started and the car did not start like thing happened above. I tried about 5 mins or more but it could not start and it ruined my weekend night damn.

In my opinion, it would be a issue with the starter. The starter doesnt seem to work fine hence it cant crank the engine to start the car.

Anyone have the same issue or know about this? Please help as soon as possible cause the car was outsite and on clear way monday to friday morning.

Thanks alot.

K

Could be one of many things..... battery, alternator, ignition switch, starter, inhibitor or central body control unit. You would also have to do a battery discharge check with the vehicle in sleep mode.

Could be one of many things..... battery, alternator, ignition switch, starter, inhibitor or central body control unit. You would also have to do a battery discharge check with the vehicle in sleep mode.

Hi Glenn,

I have pass your information to the guy. His name is simon. He said he would give you a ring tomorrow morning. If you dont mind, please advise me what to do from your opinion.

Thanks so much.

K.

Maybe too late for a reply, but when that happened to me, I move the auto gearstick in the P position then the car started. The car thinks the auto gearstick is not in P or N therefore won't start thinking it's in gear. The dash even says P.

It got be puzzled for 20mins then I suddenly realize about auto gearbox won't crank when in gear and it turned out that is my problem.

Maybe too late for a reply, but when that happened to me, I move the auto gearstick in the P position then the car started. The car thinks the auto gearstick is not in P or N therefore won't start thinking it's in gear. The dash even says P.

It got be puzzled for 20mins then I suddenly realize about auto gearbox won't crank when in gear and it turned out that is my problem.

Ah my Grandmothers E36 does this from time to time actually.

You might also find that when driving it isn't going into the correct gear?

Not sure how they're setup but maybe the shifter / contacts are just out of alignment?