Sign in to follow this  
alcarhole

FRONT ROTORS

Any idea where best place is to get some new front rotors for E36 325, $160 per disc at the mo, pretty steep if ya ask me, have to replace the front shocks too, really keen on doing it all myself.

Big job ya think?

not sure about E36 but i think they are pretty similar. Both are pretty straight forward jobs. Might aswell do both at the same time seeing as you would have the car jacked up, wheels off etc. Hardest part doing the shocks will probably pulling the strut off the car if there are some stubborn ball joints. Other than that i can't think of anything tricky.

I used a G-clamp to force the piston back into the caliper but anything along those lines will work. Make sure you replace the pads when you do the disks and go easy on the brakes to break them in for the 1st 300K's. Also BNT have pretty good prices so try there if you haven't already.

Brembo's are all good

Replacing rotors is an extremely easy job, make sure you replace the brake pads aswell when you do them. The only tricky part is, as Mike said, wedging the caliper piston(s) apart to get the caliper back on.

Replacing the shocks is a little more involving, unless you've got super duper low springs you're going to need help :D

Any idea where best place is to get some new front rotors for E36 325, $160 per disc at the mo, pretty steep if ya ask me, have to replace the front shocks too, really keen on doing it all myself.

Big job ya think?

Thats a rip-off!!

E46 330i rotors are $125ea from BMW!!! and they are 40mm bigger!!

I would expect $125 at the most!!

And it is a piss easy job, no need to replace the pads if they aren't worn, just note if your old discs had any big grooves they will be reflected in the pads!!

And use a G-clamp to push the piston in!!

Brembo's are all good

Replacing rotors is an extremely easy job, make sure you replace the brake pads aswell when you do them. The only tricky part is, as Mike said, wedging the caliper piston(s) apart to get the caliper back on.

Replacing the shocks is a little more involving, unless you've got super duper low springs you're going to need help :D

do some reseacrh on ABS and sh*t before you attempt the pad change yourself, as I'm led to beleive that backfeeding that much fluid from one caliper only at a time can caise mega probs with the abs pump which isn't really ideal..... at worst just undo the bleed nipple on the caliper and top up your fluid level after...

shocks are piss easy, just scam a spring compressor off somebody, or buy one they're only like $60 a set...

carl, easy with super duper low springs is only gonna happen if they're not captive...

Go with full custom brakes.... :D E30/Evo 4...25mm master thanks to Glenn and then Gus

I assume you are changing the Rotors because yours are worn. Otherwise, I'd invest in decent pads and braided lines.

I've put Brembo's in the rear of the 540iS. Haven't noticed a load of difference, the Mintex 1166's are brilliant though.

I've just had to change my front rotors and pads. I've got standard rotors ($40ea) or could have had the Brembo's for $60ea (really didn't see the point). I've gone with the Bendex(spellcheck?) 'dustless sport' pads.

Shouldn't be too harder job considering I did all my own springs a few weeks ago.

I've just had to change my front rotors and pads. I've got standard rotors ($40ea) or could have had the Brembo's for $60ea (really didn't see the point). I've gone with the Bendex(spellcheck?) 'dustless sport' pads.

Shouldn't be too harder job considering I did all my own springs a few weeks ago.

The Brembo rotors are harder than the stock rotors and don't warp as easy.

More aesthetically though the stock rotors also leave some fairly nasty brake dust all over you nice and shiney mags so switching to the brembo stock replacements and changing the pads to some softer dust free ones fixes that problem.

Sorry i forgot to mention you'll need a spring compressor if you still have standard springs. CaM, carl is right. What happens is although lowered springs are normally captive, they are only captive becuase of the nut on top of the strut. When you tighten that up it compresses the spring, but there should be enough slack in it so when the nut is lossend the spring don't should off. Thats how it is in my car anyway. Dunno if that makes sense but i not sure how to explain.

So this would be a relativly simple brake upgrade then?

I dont think Ill be doing it for a while - Ive just done new front shocks and brakes in my 325 too. Havent had time to go back to the mechanics and pay up - hes a good prick like that!

EDIT: Would obviously need the E46 calipers etc too eh!

Edited by Napier_E36

So this would be a relativly simple brake upgrade then?

I dont think Ill be doing it for a while - Ive just done new front shocks and brakes in my 325 too. Havent had time to go back to the mechanics and pay up - hes a good prick like that!

EDIT: Would obviously need the E46 calipers etc too eh!

yip, bolt on!!

Yes you need the 330i calipers.

Which are hard to find, 328i calipers are more common and they have a 300x22mm rotor.