Sign in to follow this  
matt45

E36 Coupe Rear Water Leak

Hi all,

So after the downpour at the weekend I have notice that there is water in the area of the boot where the cd changer is mounted. Car is a 96 e36 coupe with sunroof. Have searched around but everyone else seems to have issues around the firewall.

Are there sunroof drains that go to the rear?

The boot lid seal seems ok and the car was parked facing up hill so should have drained away from boot seal ok anyway.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure someone else will have more of an idea, but it might be leaking thru the seals around the tail lights?

Hi all,

So after the downpour at the weekend I have notice that there is water in the area of the boot where the cd changer is mounted. Car is a 96 e36 coupe with sunroof. Have searched around but everyone else seems to have issues around the firewall.

The boot lid seal seems ok and the car was parked facing up hill so should have drained away from boot seal ok anyway.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Can only think of the boot seals. They can 'look alright' but still leak - next time this happens again have a close look at the seal and see if the inner part of it is wet. Or you can test it out with a hose.

do like that power saving ad dude does. but lock yourself in the boot and use a bright light or something and see if someone outside can see any leaks of light.

Hi all,

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I have the same problem in my E36 sedan. I think someone mentioned on here that tail light seals are a common cause. Anyone know where I can source some cheaply locally?

do like that power saving ad dude does. but lock yourself in the boot and use a bright light or something and see if someone outside can see any leaks of light.

lol genius

Hi all,

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I had a problem like this on a Honda Accord, and it drove me nuts. I eventually realised the petrol filler aperture had been repaired without a sealant between it and the rear wing, and it only leaked when the water ran directly over it (parked at an angle, or at 100kph!). Worth a look.

Jo

I have a similar problem which I haven't fixed yet but the problem for me is the tail-lights, the gasket seal is old so its letting water through.

alright have ordered both taillight and boot seal so hopefully that will fix the problem!

thanks,

i had this problem and it was the petrol locking actuator which was broken and the water was going throught there (the pin which locks the flap)