Sign in to follow this  
soarer260@hotmail.com

Air intake, inside of car cabin?

Hello.

Has anyone done this before, re routed the air intake through a factory hole in the firewall of their car so it runs into the passenger foot well where the air box could be mounted there?

I know some of some 4x4 guys do it to avoid getting mud/water in intake as an alternative to a snorkel.

I suppose two benefits would be cooler air from inside the car, not the hot engine bay and you can feel more at one with the car as you can here the engine induction - no ideal for every day use however, would get annoying.

Would it be legal or illegal? Any sort of Land Transport rulings against this sort of setup?

Thoughts?

^_^

Edited by Mike-E36

Added benefit of never having to vacuum your car ever again, just hit the gas pedal :D

I don't think its a great idea, cutting a hole in the firewall could make getting WOF's hard, it might need a cert.

Like you've said the induction noise would get annoying pretty quickly.

One of more windows would need to be down a bit or you'd get a lot of intake pressure drop.

At best the air inside the cabin will be the same as outside, but probably more (yes the car might have air conditioning but this can't cool that volume of air plus it uses HP to work).

You also can't make use of any 'ram' air characteristics of an air intake (this only matters at about 200kph+ anyway).

I would say if there was any advantage to it then every race team out there would be using one.

on the plus side you wont have any turbalant air (spelling?) as the cabin air will be nice and still so you will get max air into intake, but the intake length will be too long and will probs cause quite a responce delay, and the reverb freq of the valves wont be timed correctly.