Sign in to follow this  
fred_

SPACERS Help

Hey,

I have recently got a new set of rims for my E46 M3 but i want to bump out the rears a little as they are sitting inside the guard too much.

Is there any euro shop that would have spacers for my car in auckland that i could test out whats the best size to get?

I know about all the legalities of spacers

Thanks

Don't know about spacers but from your signature your car sounds mint. Can we see some photos please?

Hey,

I have recently got a new set of rims for my E46 M3 but i want to bump out the rears a little as they are sitting inside the guard too much.

Is there any euro shop that would have spacers for my car in auckland that i could test out whats the best size to get?

I know about all the legalities of spacers

Thanks

Did you get the correct offset for the rears? You do know that the rears use a 5 series offset and the fronts use a 3 series offset. Did yiou buy the rims new?

I did a bit of research about these recently, you need to be careful.

They need to be a hubcentric set specific for your car - try not to go over 5mm as they can be un-warrantable or even dangerous.

Turner has some H&R stuff so you know it's good.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/subca...sp?subcat_id=93

Fire up some pic's! she sounds quite the beastie.

Edited by M5V8

They need to be a hubcentric set specific for your car - try not to go over 5mm as they can be un-warrantable or even dangerous.

ALL spacers are unwarrantable. ANY spacer needs to be hubcemtric on both the hub and the wheel and MUST be certified to be road legal. Wheel studs must also have a certain amount of thread in them.

Edited by zenetti

Did you get the correct offset for the rears? You do know that the rears use a 5 series offset and the fronts use a 3 series offset. Did yiou buy the rims new?

This was my first thought as well.

Further information:

All spacers must be tapped with at least 1 counter sunk grub screw onto the wheel itself.

All spacers that are hub centric must fit the wheel center bore AND the hub center bore perfectly (hub rings are allowed)

All spacers need the correct length lug bolts that turn at least 7 turns into the hub thread. Bolts must be high tensile and be of self centering type.

Maximum spacer size is 27mm

All of the above has to go through the NZ Low Volume certification process for it to pass your next warrent.

Cost of Low Volume cert is around $480 so I would suggest doing your suspension and ride height at the same time to make it worth while.

Spacers aren't dangerous if done correctly, Low Volume certifiers have a formula and if it adversly effects the handling from stock .. it wont get certified.

I just went through the whole process with the e30 sweet as. As long as you do it properly your all good. Arrow wheels can manfufacture a set of spacers mounted to the wheels pretty cheaply. All hub centric and to your spec.

Lance will even work it all out for you so you dont have too :)

edit: sorry some of these obviously covered by jonos post :)

corrected maximum spacer size.