Sign in to follow this  
bmwNewbe

320d e46 flatspot

hi all my 320d has a flat spot at about 3k revs not much but just noticable. i know with the landrover td4 they do the same thing and its a fault of the crankcase filter and sometimes the inline filter for the turbo boost vacume inlet. i have replaced the crankcase filter (small bluesh filter on top of the rocker beside the inlet manifold) but the car is still doing it so was wondering if anyone knew the location of the small inline filter as i have looked all over and cant seem to find it. or if anyone has any other ideas feel free. thanks.

I can't find a filter for the turbo vacuum control on ETK. Have you had it scanned for engine fault codes ??

yea had it checked no codes stored and no pending codes. on the 2009 auto data its listed as a common fault but only states about changing the crankcase filter,that i have done along with the seals to no avail. is it possible to get a faulty crankcase filter,its genuine bmw filter and when it was changed it was only the cartrige was oilded up and bit swolan inside the housing was quite clean.

a little annoying as i had a td4 landrover with the same fault yesterday and once i changed the crankcase filter and the inline vacume filter it was a totaly dirrernt car to drive.

You need to check live data with the scanner while driving and check the MAF sensor, it may be running out of scale and this won't trip a fault code in the DME.

You need to check live data with the scanner while driving and check the MAF sensor, it may be running out of scale and this won't trip a fault code in the DME.

all been done thats why its so annoying. have donnor car sitting so have also swaped sensors etc around incase its somthing simple and intermitant but nothing has still come up,except for the slighty faulty pick up i put on so i swaped back to my own one.

thanks for the responce just gonna hada give it another few go's with the data loging incase somthing pops its head up.

well this might be of some use to someone or there again maybe not,but anyway..

history is as follows, car run great then with no warning a flat spot/hesatation appered between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 thousand revs.

well to say the least it got checked from top to bottom then diagnostics etc etc all came up clean.

was doing a little tidying up under the bonnet and decided to flush out the egr valve to stop it cloging up,so first removed the pipe between the 2 manifolds and pulled off the egr,cleaned it out and while setting the can of break cleaner on the beanch knocked the connecting pipe off on to the floor, low and behold it came apart at one of the joints. lined it up and weilded it back together.

fitted it all back up and while driving the car home the hesatition had gone. now through all my checks and tests and that of others the egr had been removed cleaned and even replaced and the pipe was tight then,so there must have only been one part inside the joint holding it together.and the pipe was still clean and free from exhaust leak.

all in all if your 320 ever does this its worth 10 mins to pull the pipe off even if it looks fine and have the fixed side of the pipe where the pipe is seamed into the flexi joint weilded.