Sign in to follow this  
simke

Track day questions

I'm planning to go to one of the track days at Hampton Downs in the near future, but I've never been to one before. So I've got a couple of questions I'd like to ask, and any other info that is useful for a beginner is more than welcome.

Fist, I don't have a dedicated track day car, so would be driving my 328, and so my main concern is wear and tear.

What is the wear like on brakes and tires? How likely is it that I'll need to replace either or both after the track day? Brake pads were replaced 2-3 months ago and I haven't done much driving since then. Tires are 18" Dunlop Direzza's with plenty of thread left.

What about oil consumption? Do I need to bring extra oil with me to top up during the day? Will I need an oil change done afterwards? Do I need to worry about brake and transmission fluids?

I know all this depends on driving style, but lets just say I won't be trying to break any speed records :)

And lastly, what about insurance? I guess standard car insurance doesn't cover track days? What are my options here?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Safety Check List.

• Check car has a current WOF unless MSNZ log book presented

• All wheel nuts in place

• Tyres are to be in good warrantable condition, semi slicks are permitted along with full slicks for race cars

• Battery is secure with factory device or suitable metal bracket (not bungi!)

• Engine bay wiring isn’t loose and going to catch on moving parts

• No oil leaks

• No holes in fire wall

• Filter or catch can for breather on engine – where factory system is removed.

• No loose objects inside car, please remove items under seats, from glove boxes and other storage locations.

• All door cards must be in place on front doors, no sharp edges in interior, driver must not be able to strike anything sharp in an impact

• Throttle return springs need to work

• Seat belts and harness are valid and bolted at all points

• Seats to be securely mounted

• No play in the steering system

• Springs are captive

• Wipers and demister work

• Exhaust system must be effective and be within the 95dB limited

• Turbo timers MUST be off while on the track. (may be used in pits) – In case you crash and you need to turn the engine off so the timer doesn’t kick in.

• Nothing loose in the boot or hatch (includes tools, tyres, speakers)

• All body panels and kits secured firmly, including front bumpers (yes you must have a front and rear bumpers)

• Check for overalls (100% cotton or race overalls), helmet and enclosed footwear

• All Helmets must be in good condition with no signs of damage.

• Fire extinguisher within date and mounted correctly within reach of driver while seated (not in the glove box of the car)

Guest Simon*

It doesn't hurt to overfill with oil - not excessively mind, just a wee bit! This is mainly for slosh factor and lubrication/cooling - not expecting you to burn it ;) You should still get home with plenty.

Check you tyre pressures are within recommended limits and even all round - you can do this prior to driving to the track for a road car.

Your brakes sound like they're in good condition so that's cool. Take heed of the cooldown laps and don't clamp on the handbrake after a set of laps, just let her sit without it.

Your Direzzas should serve you pretty well too and apart from a bit of edge scrubbing will probably still be fine for many miles afterwards.

Like Heath said, take out any loose articles - things can start to fly round in there!

If you're worried about insurance then make the track day one that includes a bit of driver training, even if it's just for a session. You SHOULD* then be covered on your standard insurance.

Can't recommend these days enough for people who want to become better and safer drivers. You will learn both your own and the car's limits. Money well spent IMO

:)

*If you're worried about this, check.

Most insurance companies i checked with do not cover trackdays/driver training sessions.

Check with your insurance, unless you know for a FACT!

Edited by DRTDVL

Thanks for this, all sounds good. My main concern was that I'd have to replace brakes / tires, which would make it a very expensive exercise. Now just need to find out from NZI what is their policy on track days.

NZI don't.

Track day insurance is not really available in NZ like it is in places like the UK. But even in the UK it is expensive and really only viable to people running high end expensive cars.

Just take it easy for your first few times. Nearly every time I go to an open day, some over confident unexperienced person crashes.

Check out http://www.playdayontrack.co.nz/news.php

They often hold track days and would no doubt be willing to help you get out on the track for your first time.

^It depends on the kind of trackday it is.

I went to one of the BMW driver training days, and you could still be insured because it wasn't going to be competitive (edit: as long as you tell your insurer beforehand). For your first time I could recommend one of the training days, was good fun, and not just about punting your car around the track.

Edited by JFry