Sign in to follow this  
St Clair

E36 325i Noisy vanos

Just wondering if anyone has fixed their noisy vanos unit before? Mine has recently developed a slight knock/rattle common with vanos wear and also sometimes the engine feels down on power after 3500rpm when the vanos should be kicking in (seals I guess). I've heard a Dr. Vanos unit is the way to go?

I'm in Hamilton and wondering if anyone can recommend a shop or person to fix this?

Are you sure it's the vanos ? It's more common for the alternator idler and tensioner bearings to get very noisey before they break. Has someone checked it for you, and scanned it ? The lack of power may not be associated with the noise. The noisey bearings may also be activating the front knock sensor, which will effect engine performance.

Are you sure it's the vanos ? It's more common for the alternator idler and tensioner bearings to get very noisey before they break. Has someone checked it for you, and scanned it ? The lack of power may not be associated with the noise. The noisey bearings may also be activating the front knock sensor, which will effect engine performance.

Hi Glenn, not definitely sure. Will definitely have to get it scanned and checked out. Thanks for the input, if I was in Auckland I would have brought it down to you to have a look at. Any chance you're open on a Saturday?