Sign in to follow this  
cytamen

auckland to bluff and back

Hey guys,

In a few months I'll be buying an E36 325i off a friend and I'll be travelling from Auckland to Bluff and back during 10 days, basically a massive roadtrip. The total amount of kilometres I'll be going is around 4,000km's.

The car is pretty low k's, only about 121,000 but I'm going to budget in $1000 for some preventative maintenance before I go, as I don't want it to break down.

Is there anything beyond the basics of oil change, coolant flush that would be advisable?

Cheers

Cooling system overhaul for peace of mind - radiator, expansion tank, thermostat, thermostat housing, waterpump, radiator cap, upper and lower hoses (as a minimum, maybe other hoses if needed).

Hey mate, I wouldn't go too hard on the "preventative measures" I have driven a few far less reliable cars(subarus) from the far north to Dunedin and i have generally just did an all over fluid and coolant change and never had any problems...having breakdown or AA would be a good thing to have on your trip...take the long way and enjoy some of our beautiful country on the way.

Yeah, cooling system was what I was mainly looking at. I'll try not to go too crazy, but see what the workshop has to say about the car when I get it.

I'll be driving to Wellington on the first day, and then over the picton ferry, down to Christchurch where I'll spend a day or so. I'll also be checking out Queenstown, Milford sound and bluff. On the way back I'll be taking the west coast roads, but I'll be taking a lot of pictures for sure. Will be good to finally a bigger picture of the country I've lived in for my whole life, not just the cities!

If anybody has any spots they recommend I go see, let me know. Still months left to plan.

In Queenstown you can catch this ferry across the river/lake can't remember which one it is haha but that was really good when I went. Also take a drive out to the Amisfield vineyard and also the Millbrook golf course are amazing.

If you "detour" past Napier the Craggy Range vineyard is good too. Vineyards in general are just good :)

From Picton-Chch, go through Kaikoura and get some fresh crays but on your way back go via central otago and the Westcoast/Te anau and get some whitebait :D The south island is absolutley amazing if you have not seen it before...i remember when i was abroad and seeing the swiss alps thinking to myself, meh it's no better than the southern alps -_-