Sign in to follow this  
master garion

advice needed for E36

Hi ppl, have a few questions:

1. Is there an easy way of replacing the expansion tank without removing fan/shroud/radiator etc. Also any tips for minimising coolant loss while doing it?

2. Is it any easier to replace upper and lower radiator hoses while doing the above? I'm guessing I'll lose most of the coolant to do the hoses?

3. Can worn tie rods cause brake shimmy and/or vibration at a certain speed?

4. My front suspension "clunks" when going over speed bumps and the rear creaks when I press down on it while stationary - do I have worn shock/strut mounts? If so, is it wise to replace just the mounts now or should I wait until I replace the shocks? Given that the car's at 158k now, the shocks must be near end of life?

cheers

**note: tyres are new and were balanced by the tyre shop recently, ball joints and control arm bushes were replaced in the last couple of years so rule these things out re 3 and 4**

Edited by master garion

1. you will lose a lot of coolant when you remove the expansion tank. as gravity will push water out from the lower hose and the fact that the expansion tank carries coolant inside. it will be messy if you dont drain first. it is possible to remove it without taking out the fan shroud but will be a bit harder. you can just loosen it a bit.

2. the upper hose wont have too much coolant, as said before due to gravity. but expect the lower one to spill some.

3. i dont think so. braking shimy will be due to1. warped rotors, 2. uneven brake pad installation, 3. bushings. control arms

1. you will lose a lot of coolant when you remove the expansion tank. as gravity will push water out from the lower hose and the fact that the expansion tank carries coolant inside. it will be messy if you dont drain first. it is possible to remove it without taking out the fan shroud but will be a bit harder. you can just loosen it a bit.

2. the upper hose wont have too much coolant, as said before due to gravity. but expect the lower one to spill some.

3. i dont think so. braking shimy will be due to1. warped rotors, 2. uneven brake pad installation, 3. bushings. control arms

so if i'm gonna lose coolant regardless, i should do 1 and 2 at the same time

4. New rear shock mounts will die quickly with dead shocks.

right, so suspension work should be done all at the same time then

That depends if you are sure it is your shocks that are causing the noises.