Sign in to follow this  
Tommy

Advanced timing

Hey peps I got a L-jet and I was told that you

can Advance the timing easily cos its a L-jet.

Is there any advantages or disadvantages to

doing this? :thumb: :thumbsdown:

good: throttle response, power....feels way better

bad: fuel, using 98 is not cheap

good: throttle response, power....feels way better

bad: fuel, using 98 is not cheap

:rolleyes:

Advancing is good for engine :D

Depending on how far you go it makes it more efficient and more peppy but at the cost of engine life expectency.

why?

as long as your not detonating from advance there shouldnt be a prob

Increasing the timing increases the compression and produces more heat within the chamber as you're increasing the burn time, while get better fuel effeciency and performance you are however increasing the chance off blowing a head gasket.

My Isuzu benefited generously from advancing the timing, was quite peppy afterwards. It survived 2 years before the head gasket blew, then after machining the head down and replacing it all it took 6 months to blow again as the compression was too high after the machining. Still, was bloody good fun while it lasted.

Increasing the timing increases the compression and produces more heat within the chamber as you're increasing the burn time, while get better fuel effeciency and performance you are however increasing the chance off blowing a head gasket.

explain exactly how it raises the compression ratio??? <_< dude advancing timing cannot raise compression, compresison, in laymans terms is "to squash a volume of air/fuel mixture down to a smaller volume"

advancing timing changes the point at which the combustion occurs...

explain exactly how it raises the compression ratio??? <_< dude advancing timing cannot raise compression, compresison, in laymans terms is "to squash a volume of air/fuel mixture down to a smaller volume"

advancing timing changes the point at which the combustion occurs...

For a start, I didn't say it raises the compression ratio, I said it raises the compression. If you want to argue over symantics then compression may not be the most exact word to describe the increase in pressure caused by the advancement of the ignition.

By advancing the ignition point the fuel mixture starts to burn well and truly before it is fully compressed, since the volume of mixture is trying to expand while it is still being compressed the pressure is actually greater than what it would've been had the ignition been retarded hence a higher chance that the head gasket may blow.

Or another way.

If you don't ignite the mixture then it won't expand and push down the piston. It is the ignition timing that creates the pressure force at the precise point needed, too late and you waste the pressure created, too early and the force required to compress the mixture volume is too great, increasing the chances of the head gasket blowing out.

Edited to remove offense :)

Edited by ///Carl

You are an annoying little know it all aren't you.

No, carl, what you said was correct, I just didn't understand what you were meaning, although, I've never heard of that being a problem... unless it's detonation...

wind some timing into it, so long as you make sure it's tuned correctly for that amount of timing, and you use the grade of fuel it's been tuned to run that timing with, or higher, then you should be sweet... just watch out on hot days :thumb:

Or another way for your simple mind.

I would ask that you don't insult my intellegence, this is a forum of opinions brought about by experiences and knowledges, a moron can sift the net all day for answers, doesnt mean they're gospel.... therefore others opinions are a good thing

Edited by CaM

Guest Andrew

Advance the timing - on the 320 we managed 25 deg timing advance running on 98. No pinking or knocking.

It made a massive difference.

Carl, it may be that im sticking up for my mate here, but you seem to make some terrible and derogitory comments at times. I could also easily reply with such immature comments about your personality, but those sort of remarks stopped for me at the school playground.

Andy, did you run the 320 on 96 at any point, if so, how did it run? Is it possible to advance my timing and still have it running on 96? Or is it already tuned to this point?

Also, how easier is motronic to tune vs L-jet? Ive heard before that you can only advance the timing on a motronic.

motronic cant advance timing

which blows

andys 320 ran 10x better with timing advance than without. i doubt the longetivity of the engine was stressed...but each internet mechanic to their own opinion

one day with link, 325 timing advance= pimp

most performance chips advance the ignition timing hence the need to run higher octane pertrol so as to decrease the likleyhood of detonation/pinking and damage to pistons, overheating,etc

how much do you think I should wind in? 15, 20 more...?

Would it be a gud idea to get some hotter plugs for it too?

I dont wana do it if my engines gana sh*t its pants after a while tho,

but ill be running it on 98 so should be right....... eh

Edited by Tommy

Just repeating what sparkle said, can it be advanced at all on 96 or is it a waste of time unless you use 98?

Guest Andrew

how much do you think I should wind in? 15, 20 more...?

Would it be a gud idea to get some hotter plugs for it too?

I dont wana do it if my engines gana sh*t its pants after a while tho,

but ill be running it on 98 so should be right....... eh

plugs make no diff -

just advance the timing and keep testing it till it knocks - then wind it back a couple of degs.