Sign in to follow this  
Heino

e46 stereo

Can you connect up a aux cable to a standard bmw headunit and a am and a sub?

could anyone share some light please.

Depends on what year the car is, The old ladys got a 2004 325i and its got an aux cable running into the glovebox with the standard head deck, You would have to take the radio out and check for the ports at the back and see if theres an adaptor cable etc..

But IMO ive got a sub and amp and the aftermarket ones are alot better for bass etc etc....

There is heaps of info out there - google told me how to get one in mine (2000, e46).

If your car is prefacelift then it is highly unlikely unless you have for some reason had a facelift headunit from a car with a build date after 07/2002(?) installed etc. Cant remember exact dates but i found it all on other sites.

got boerd over the weekend and checked out the cd stacker and theres no way to connect anything up. but i have no idea how to get to the rear of the headdeck. and dont really wana do trial and error with a e46 dash... any pointers.

Getting stereo out is easy as, Start by removing trim on passengers side by prying up the corner (next to passengers door)(using something plastic so you don't mark it) then move along prying out until you can just pull it out by hand, Its just pressed into plastic grommets.

After you have the single strip of trim off the passengers side there is a small strip that runs around the radio, just pull it off by hand, then there is two philip's screws you will see holding the radio in just unscrew them and pull the radio out.

First timer should take you no more than 10 mins to get it out.

Getting stereo out is easy as, Start by removing trim on passengers side by prying up the corner (next to passengers door)(using something plastic so you don't mark it) then move along prying out until you can just pull it out by hand, Its just pressed into plastic grommets.

After you have the single strip of trim off the passengers side there is a small strip that runs around the radio, just pull it off by hand, then there is two philip's screws you will see holding the radio in just unscrew them and pull the radio out.

First timer should take you no more than 10 mins to get it out.

Thanks man will be doing this asap.

Why not find the info on the factory stereo, instead of pulling it too bits first bro...

Why not find the info on the factory stereo, instead of pulling it too bits first bro...

all the stereo says is bmw business...

What year is your car.

its a 2000 model

its a 2000 model

Then there is no point in removing your sterio to check. It does not have the capability to attach an aux cable. I did allude to this earlier.

I have a Grom USB unit installed in my car which i brought off M-Spec on the forums. You can buy these from the states for about 140US. I have a USB and aux cable running from this unit in the boot up to the centre console and am able to use USB to play MP3's or the Aux cable.

I'll try remember to take a picture. Its a cheap solution to maintain the factory look. Or if you want to spend the Coin, a Dynavin unit is great (see M-Spec's thread).

You're in Auckland right? I had a bit've a look at installing an AUX into my car without taking out the factory unit because it has a TV in it but I got quoted around $350 to JUST install and AUX through the glove compartment. A DICE unit is similar pricing to this right? Probably better too ... ?

I had a DICE unit in my E39 - it was awesome.

It replaces your CD stacker.

www.gadgets4u.co.nz

Edited by brunch