Sign in to follow this  
burago_2003

E36 Broken Driver's Window

Hi all,

My driver's side window stopped working bout a couple of months ago and managed to get it looked (first time round) and they said that when they opened the panel it was a $100 to replace the broken plastic clips and put it back on the rails.. got caught up and only managed to go last week and thought i'd ring up see if post GST will add much onto the cost.. now they're telling me that apparently the "regulator" is broken but the motor is working fine and still have to replace the plastic clips (10-20 dollars each at most), some sort of regulator + labour and i was looking at a total of $400

I asked him why the sudden change and to be honest the guy couldnt come up with a straight answer and sounds like something fishy is going on...

Can someone please let me know if this guys is trying to take me for a ride or i'm just being a little paranoid and this what it will actually cost me? I had opened the panels myself and i know the window fell of the rail, clips are broken, but the motor is working fine...

Anyone know of a trustworthy place in Auckland to get it fixed at a decent price?

Much appreciated!

Go and see Glenn at Botany motor works or Ray at HellBM. They will see you right.

those little white clips are easy peasy to replace if you want to give it a crack yourself

Sounds about right...BMW down here was going to charge similar...i ended up doing it myself for about $100.

The clips sound a bit pricey, but...it is a Bimmer!!

Cheers gents.. will try Botany Motor works

@Cliff: the clips they said were 10-20 dollars tops, but add labor & GST on top = $100

@HT: i would mate but it was hard to manouver with the rails thing bolted on

I just had this exact same problem on the passenger window of my E36 as well, and I went in to see Glenn at Botany Motor Worx. My regulator was actually kind of bent out of place, however Glenn was awesome and was able to help bend it back to nearly 100% and then just replace the clips.

Glenn did mention that replacing the whole regulator would be around the $400 range so I don't think the other people were messing you around too much, but whether or not your window requires an entire regulator replacement is another thing ...

But yes, like the others said - check out the forum sponsors =)

$400 is about right for a regulator swap out as they are a bitch to change, I did mine myself when i had mine.

$160 fitted @ Hellbm

i got some clips lying around home they urs if you just pikem up.

Might actually just drop it by HellBM and they'll take care of the whole thing! Sounds like these guys are onto it so hopefully will all work out.. if not will let you know, thanks tho Heino

Yes please.

Yes please.

just chuk us a text i got them just sitting here. and dont have a e36 anymore so no point in keeping them.