Sign in to follow this  
kiwi535

(e60) 535d

Mines the M57TUD30 but I hear those units are quite different. I drove the current model X5 twin turbo then straight after drove the single turbo version but was seriously unable to tell the difference. It would push a 5 series along bloody well though.

EDIT: the 6 speed in mine is good for towing, I lock mine in 6th gear (manual mode) so it doesn't change down at all and just rides on the torque.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

My host parents here in Spain have a 535d 6 speed and it hauls ass.

Brillant car and its changed my whole perspective of diesels, I use to hate them but I would rather have a 535d over a 535i.

They make sense and will continue to do so until the government puts up RUC and fuel prices which is inevitable. Just hopefully not beyond the point of it becoming more expensive to own than a petrol.

Mines the M57TUD30 but I hear those units are quite different. I drove the current model X5 twin turbo then straight after drove the single turbo version but was seriously unable to tell the difference. It would push a 5 series along bloody well though.

There seem to be a lot of different power and torque levels for the same engines with the diesels, from the M57TU?? onwards. I'm not sure what is changed to get the different outputs, whether it is a chip and tune, or mechnical chagnes like bigger turbo(s), etc. The X5 always seems to get the higher outputs from which-ever engine.

Would be interesting to know what has to be done to say, a 330d to get it up to the same outputs as a X5 3.0d. Especially as Dad's (330d 6speed manual) is due to arrive 6th December... ;)

^fuel systems and boost increase are the usual ways to increase the power of diesels. so much can be gained by little improvements to fuel timing, pilot injection etc etc. also variable vain turbos seem to go well with diesel motors, they can also improve power hugely with f.a lag.

Edited by -Oli-

^fuel systems and boost increase are the usual ways to increase the power of diesels. so much can be gained by little improvements to fuel timing, pilot injection etc etc. also variable vain turbos seem to go well with diesel motors, they can also improve power hugely with f.a lag.

Just the ECU, has to be, they are the same engines in the same year as the E60/E53/E90 yet different power slightly.

I gained 100nm and 40kw from just a re-map on my X5 the difference amazing, the performance is brutal around town and relentless on the open road, 600nm puts a smile on your face thats for sure. I've had a 2.5 ton boat on the back of my X5 before and I'm sure the engine was just having a laugh at it, it didn't bother it whatsoever. So all up, they are a great powerplant.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

^exactly, ecu = fuel control.

Yeah, I remember hearing that the earlier E46 330d had the older X5 diesel engine which was slighly less power at 135 and 410nm - not sure what they did to it to achieve the 160kw and 500nm and I was told my 2005 model Range Rover 3.0 diesel had that powerplant. Trust BMW not to give it more power than their X5 even though the RR was 50 times as heavy!

Just the ECU, has to be, they are the same engines in the same year as the E60/E53/E90 yet different power slightly.

I gained 100nm and 40kw from just a re-map on my X5 the difference amazing, the performance is brutal around town and relentless on the open road, 600nm puts a smile on your face thats for sure.

Definately just a different ECU map between the vehicles? Seems a big difference, just for a re-map. Yes, I know you can get lots more from mapping on most cars, but there is usually a trade off in either fuel consumption, or even (with some aftermarket re-maps anyways) engine life.

If BMW are happy that the engine can put out the higher ratings in the X5, why have it so de-tuned in the 3-series and 5-series?

I thought I read somewhere that there is a different turbo set up, as Oli says variable vane turbo as against fixed, on some of the engines and not others. Should still be a relatively simple bolt-on change though I would have thought? Keeping it all BMW would be much more preferable to me than going for an aftermarket "chip".

Not that I'd recommend this as a comparison, but for example the XR6 Turbo is a very restricted engine. But I know for a fact that the M57TUD30 is a bullet proof engine thus me nor three other people I know that own or have owned them have never had an issue with this engine. I asked when I bought the re-map how the hell do you get that kind of increase just from a re-map and his answer was the fact that European emissions laws are so strict, but they also increased the PSI on the turbo. I found my X5 used slightly less fuel after the re-map, probably due to the fact that the engine doesn't have to work as hard.

^^aaah, yes, I forgot about the good old emissions tune! Having spent many, many months working on tuning an engine and ECU for exactly that it was a bit of a silly thing to forget.

To be honest I have noticed a little more smoke from my diesel but it's never black, it's always a sooty dusty type and is only for a second under hard load. Then again, I could be imagining things as I wasn't looking for it before.

I recently had a Touareg V10 infront of me with pipes coming out the back as they do and you could tell when he was under hard load, the black soot coming out that back was unreal, I've seen two like that.

Heres what you have to look foward to in a

Yes it's had the ECU done but to pull past a M3 thats super!

Edited by The Diesel Guy

what is about some vane or butterfly with the 3.0 d engine.Does it apply to all 3.0 deisel engines.

The 535d is the same engine as the 530 but has two turbos in line,a small and a large so basically its on boost all the time and the larger turbo gives it the top end that the single turbo cant acheive on the 3.0d

Edited by kiwi535

Are you looking to buy the one in JG Paul?

I thought its smaller brother is the more sensible choice?

Having second thought?

Are you looking to buy the one in JG Paul?

I thought its smaller brother is the more sensible choice?

Having second thought?

no the 1 series is still in the frame,but i always see another car and think hmmmm .the 535d is a private sale

If their arms mysteriously become removed will that put be back up to first?

If their arms mysteriously become removed will that put be back up to first?

ya never know

what is about some vane or butterfly with the 3.0 d engine.Does it apply to all 3.0 deisel engines.

I think you might be referring to the "swirl flap" issue that affects both the 2.0ltr and 3.0ltr diesel engines, bits fall off in the inlet manifold and lunch everything on their way through the engine, turbos and cats.

There is no definate cut off date for the faulty flaps, but certainly affects all cars pre-2004 and no cars after 2007, if it's in-between then you have to take the manifold off and check visually what flaps are fitted.

It's a pretty cheap (couple of hunded bucks for the parts) and easy (less than an hour to fit) fix, even if it is for piece of mind. There are a couple of threads about it somewhere.