Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

POR 15 Experience

Took our caravan for a WOF yesterday, and the inspector suggested that I get under it and wirebrush and treat the chassis / drawbar to stop the surface rust getting any worse.

I have seen other forums and websites talking about POR 15 rust preventive paint, and wondered if anybody on here had experience with it ? It appears to dry superhard and is less likely to be effected by stones flicking up off the roads.

Would I need to remove all the old paint first for example? or just wirebrush / wirewheel the worst of the rust and paint over ?

Any experience / recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks

The instructions just say to wire-brush, treat with rust kill then rinse with water, allow to dry and paint with POR-15. (edit - its still paint, so won't stick to unclean or overly smooth surfaces)

It does dry "hard" (its almost like ceramic), is easy to apply, is permanent on exposed skin (haha), and quite expensive compared to other options. I've used it before but probably not on anything that I can give a realistic view on whether it lives up to long term exposure to harsh conditions (like under a caravan).

Edited by CamB

George (Espirt) has used it extensively on his lotus rebuild...

It's not uv stable without a clear coat. They have a metal prep product and metal clean that would be recommended to use in conjunction with each other. You can buy starter kits.

Im also interested in somthing that stand up to gravel. All my underseal is getting ripped off from gravel hitting it.