Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

Taupo Track - Pics + Vids

paul, last year both taupo and puke were run by gerry hodges, i didnt realise before hand that steve was going to running it

i feel that the best way of learning is by doing, and practical sessions followed by theory would have been better, as opposed to how i felt, large chunks of theory followed by little practical application

again, i may have been expecting too much based on previous experiences on the bmw driver training days, where i felt i learnt more. however i can and do see the beauty of theory, especially for people completely new to race track. short attention spans and lots of talking combine for frustrated people, probably not a good idea on a track

at the end of the day, i enjoyed the day, and know for next time what i can expect, as i am not sure i will attend strict "driver training days" as i have been to 3 now, and all pretty much send the same basic messages out. i will however definately attend the puke track day in august. i look forward to hearing your thoughts

i agree that you have to have some theory but i know that everyone is keen to get out and drive thir cars too Even the braking and slalom exercises are good value cos you just cant do that anywhere else but a closed sealed enviroment.I think some frustration was also caused due to the fact that we had large groups and a small track.The wait at the braking exercises were minimal but frustrating.I am not really interested in the laps at the end of the day(not totally true) but would rather have spent that time doing more braking stuff,i was hopeless at that brake swerve,brake even tho i knew what i was supposed to do.Its just a matter of maximising the impact of the theory stuff i spose whilst letting every one out to do more drivingPerhaps we need to have a more sport/track day seperate from the driver training days.But we must be very careful as a club in case someone has an accident.I think keiths misadventure could easily have been much more serious.Just imagine if someone had been immediatley behind him and lost it on the oil.

someone should organise a track day :D

even if it's in conjunction with another forum: would help get the costing down...

at the end of the day driving is good

the onboost guys on the day before us setupo looked good.....cheaper ($50) and pretty much just free lapping...but again that is what i want....lots of people prob dont!

Here is my thoughts:

Sure the driver training is a good idea, and the practical exercises are good. However we should have less theory in front of a whiteboard, and more time actually doing the exercises (I don't mean that we should eliminate the exercises, but maybe have a longer time actually doing the driving in them, and also have more exersices).

The way in which this can be sorted is by having a booklet that is given out prior to the day that covers all of the theory. It is then up to the attendees to have read and learned the theory side of the day. This can then be gone over the next morning briefly to underline the key learnings. Even better, have the theory session the night before. I realise that some people drove to the day on the morning of it, but too bad, make attendance the night before compulsory, and have a 1.5 hour theory session then (say from 8pm - 9.30pm).

Then the next morning, start promptly at 8am (not show up around 8, shoot the breeze for an hour and then finally start at 9 - the night before after the theory session can be used for renewing old aquaintances etc). Therefore the exercises can be started earlier, and there can be more on them, and you can have more of a run at them should you want.

I know that the day is called a Driver Training day, but there is also the expectation from the majority of the people that you will get time to undertake lapping (both 100km/h and higher). For those who are not interested in the higher speed lapping, even the lower speed ones are useful for improving driving, these help braking control, accelerating through corners, and general car control in a controlled environment. Even in the under 100km/h session I found out the hard way that changing gear while cornering can unsettle the car, even at relatively low speeds, and I had to gather the rear end again that started to get a bit twitchy - this can easily happen on the open road too.

The lapping (sub 100km/h, and 100km/h+ could then start straight after lunch), and sessions alternated for the remainder of the day.

I, for one, found that I "turned off" and "tuned out" during the theory session, and I know I wasn't the only one (I did actually spy one guy who had fallen asleep).

While I did enjoy the day, I did find the morning session a bit frustraing. I agree that the actual theory is important, I feel that there are probably other ways of delivering it. and letting people actually get in their cars and drive earlier in the day would have made it better, and allowed people to put the theory into practice and learn the hard way that things can go wrong in a very controlled envronment where you are in no danger of hitting other cars, pedestrians etc.

I also sympathise with Steve and the instructors as well, as there is a very wide variety of people with a wide variety of ability and expectations, and what I have typed here is not meant as a criticism of the day and how it was run, it is my thoughts on what I think can be done to improve it, and help it better cover all of the bases.

That is my opinion anyway, and as always I am interested in others.

Cheers

Those are all very good points Grant and excellent suggestions too..I was panicking to get to the track at 8 I drove up on the morning,had breakfast in taupo,i didnt realise that the track was so far up the road,at one point i stopped and consulted my little map again,then as you say nothing happened for ages.

I had no real expectations for lapping,but I think that is what normally happens on the Auckland days.

Perhaps the lapping things SHOULD be a a part of the day that is selected(or not)in the morning or on the entry,and ALL first timers are accompanied by someone experienced(not necesarily an "instructor").

we need some more feedback here guys- what do you want from your car club

<Attempted hijack of bimmersport thread for bmwcc>

Guest Andrew

we need some more feedback here guys- what do you want from your car club

<Attempted hijack of bimmersport thread for bmwcc>

Well i'm sure with at least 4 people on these forums who attend national committee meetings for this club the points will be brought up.

I enjoyed the day (aside from earlier points) and i'm not making any critisism of steve in any way. I for one will be attending the next race craft day (in July).

The reason we expected something different - is in the past its the morning of driver training - then lapping (which for me is more fun and I learn how the car handles in a much higher speed situation than i'll ever use it on the road)

how the car handles in a much higher speed situation than i'll ever use it on the road)

pussy

Ok Guys, my thoughts.

While i was one of the instructors,and know how Steve usually runs both driver training days and racecraft days, this day was not run how we would normally.

It sounds much to me that the General thoughts from the people that do attend the BMW club day at Taupo, are really looking for something more like the racecraft day that we are doing this weekend.

We do not normally do as many people at one time either. 54 drivers is too many for 4 instructors on the Taupo track, if you are really in to the race type of training. It slows the progress of the exercises. The theory session is normally held a few days,or night before the track day to allow the maximum time on the track.

Racecraft days do take in more things like learning to be relaxed about 4 cars arriving at the first corner at the same time and not hitting each other.

people who have attended taupo track days in the past should of known what to expect. Its a small track, good for 25 cars at the max.

As, i have been to manfield x2, taupo x2 and puke. all were different types of events completely. both taupo track days for me 2003 & 04 were the same. even though i wanted to go this year i didnt really feel the need to do it. taupo was more of a sit back, have a go and watch & learn day. Which i think is great for first timers who have never been out on the track. If you were looking for that something else then the manfield events hosted by steven, was the next step up.

I dont know how many times this has been said but driver training is just that. nothing else. its not scott dixon racing school. which i think for most it was lets go try and race. racecraft or "TRACK DAY" is what you want. just becuase it held on a race track dosnt mean you have to drive at 150km/h all the time.

what a story

oh and cain im in tga till sunday

looks if i had a terack u could all use it, an but

as i have said, i was going on what previous driver training days have been like

but i prob wont be doing driver training again, as its not my cup of tea with a little track time.....heaps of clubs do track days.....onboost, oldschool, rexnet to name but a few.....they all look pretty fun. manfield is a little far which is a pity as i hear it is a great circuit.....hopefully will make it one day though!

Guest Andrew

as i have said, i was going on what previous driver training days have been like

but i prob wont be doing driver training again, as its not my cup of tea with a little track time.....heaps of clubs do track days.....onboost, oldschool, rexnet to name but a few.....they all look pretty fun. manfield is a little far which is a pity as i hear it is a great circuit.....hopefully will make it one day though!

and just to say this bimmersport will never ever have a track day

and just to say this bimmersport will never ever have a track day
:D

OK, Here's my 2c.

These days are very difficult to organise. As Paul pointed out, an incident will make future days more difficult to do.

Unfortunately, we use Taupo as it is cost effective. But it is too small and too narrow for real speed work. Also with the large numbers of car which turned out (I think the biggest I have seen besides the BMW Extravaganza) makes the waiting time longer.

They need to keep the number of laps to a sensible level too, as the cars have road braking systems and will not really do more than 6 HARD laps. Grant, I forgot to mention this in our discussion on the M3. If you drive an M3 as hard as your E30, you will be equally frustrated with it. It will be faster, but driving it to the limit will still roast your brakes. Our Ferraris in standard brake trim did the same thing. They are only road cars. So if you really want to race, you need to get a car suitable.

I do enjoy the ability to flog my car in a safer/legal environment, but Taupo is built for the big cars. I can do the same terminal velocity at Meremere in 400m. So it's not a fast circuit. Pukekohe is but insanely expensive. Manfield is a great circuit and like Puke is big enough to do various exercises at the same time.

Roll on Hampton downs :bounce:

You can learn car control at low speeds doing Grasskhanas, which will generally be less damaging to you car (unless you back into a tree!) Again, we don't have enough opportunity for these in Auckland either. The Auckland CC ones are run well. I might join next year.

Breakfast tomorrow morning then? I'll call you later. Tim, are you on for it?

I might be able to shout you all breakfast.

Looks like a great day Andrew.

Nice pics of nice cars.

You know what is the funny thing about those trackday's all over the world?

It's alway's full with the newest supercars and lots of e30's.

I think the e30 is the best ever trackday car in the world.

1) BMW e30 325i

2) Nissan Silvia/200SX

3) Porsche 924/944/968

4) Toyota Corolla AE-86