Sign in to follow this  
39KiwiTouring

Wheel Balancing Question

Pretty much as title says. Experiencing a shudder at exactly 57k's, both left hand wheels have no balance weights, had wheel alignment and new tyres ® 1500k ago.

Cheers

they only need weights if they're out of balance, or they might have hidden them on the inside. Only way to know is have the wheels balanced checked again

The moment you drive out of the tyre shop and on the slightest bump they will be out of balance again.

Have you juddered over anything fairly hard, ie curb, bump, pothole, judderbar?

Yes I had two buckled rims 1 quite bad and the other just dented like it had nailed a kerb. I swapped the real bukled one out for the spare and left the dented one on there, tyre shop said it will be O.k.

I suspect it's wheels though, as Peter Beck checked out all the underneath and he couldn't find anything wrong, said it's actually quite good, as I had a clanging sound that ended up being a loose wheel brace in the well, he discovered it sitting in the back.

Could it be anything else (the steering shudder).

I think that would be your problem - Screwed wheels.

It's easy to see if a wheel is no longer straight. Spin it freely and watch the wobble.

Thanks PJ thats what I think too. Had alook at a dead e39 down the road today with roulettes, sitting on rims (under the chassis) and the ones that could spin were buckled as well, they woudn't spin true, might have to buy new.

Seems simple but i had a similar thing from putting directional tyre the wrong way!?

Pretty much as title says. Experiencing a shudder at exactly 57k's, both left hand wheels have no balance weights, had wheel alignment and new tyres ® 1500k ago.

Cheers

I have the shudder problem as well. I haven't checked that the wheels aren't buckled (but will) as I found a bit of play in the r/h front wheel, which may be a loose bearing.....? I suppose a buckled wheel could even cause the bearing to loosen? Hmmmm....I Hope we both find the solution soon as it is most annoying.

I have the shudder problem as well. I haven't checked that the wheels aren't buckled (but will) as I found a bit of play in the r/h front wheel, which may be a loose bearing.....? I suppose a buckled wheel could even cause the bearing to loosen? Hmmmm....I Hope we both find the solution soon as it is most annoying.

put the two best(straightest) wheels on the front