Sign in to follow this  
BMRBOI

LSD cost

Hi guys,

Well have the diff out of my car as im doing repairs on the sub frame its a 3.15 medium case e36 diff. While its out im tempted in getting an lsd. have noticed you can buy just the lsd centre, does it cost more to have it installed then to purchase the whole lsd diff??

I know people reckon steelie gears in Auckland are the guys to see about doing the diff, I live in Tauranga/Rotorua is there anyone around here that could install it?

With e30s at least centres are usually 600,complete diffs 750 so hardly seems worth the drama

If you can find the ratio you want, then Mark's probably right, but if not, then the centre is a good way to go, Mine are $500 at the moment if you're interested. Any good gearbox place can do the install, if you have a good mech ability it's not that hard just to fit one. The harder thing is to do a recondition, I've done a couple of fits with no problems.

Yeah ill be keen, i might have to price up what it would cost to fit. Will your centre fit the 3.15 ratio? I was told there are a few offsets depending on ratios. Hmm i could fit it maybe, but i have never done anything to do with diffs so maybe leave to experts. Any idea of what it costs to install? Do the lsd plates have to be repacked or anything?

If you can find the ratio you want, then Mark's probably right, but if not, then the centre is a good way to go, Mine are $500 at the moment if you're interested. Any good gearbox place can do the install, if you have a good mech ability it's not that hard just to fit one. The harder thing is to do a recondition, I've done a couple of fits with no problems.

3.15 may be a different size, I thought it was the 2.91 and the 3.07 which were different, but not sure.

Any companies sell E36 Mid case LSD diff centers off the shelf?

I've been looking around but haven't had much luck. After something high, 3.5-4.0+

The centre is only a carrier for the ring gear, so will fit whatever ratio you want. Best to find the diff with the ratio you want and then change the open centre for the LSD one.

Oh ok, so do you have both the high and lower offset lsd centres?

3.15 may be a different size, I thought it was the 2.91 and the 3.07 which were different, but not sure.