Sign in to follow this  
bimmer boy

Engine Swap

Kind of trying to decide what i want to do with the green beastie and was thinking of getting all the rust fixed or to buy a e30 with a mint body and a dead engine and put my engine in it ( and dont need to hear suggestions bout putting in a 2.5 manual or anything ) ^_^

just wanted to know if it is a hard job to put a auto M20 E30 engine into a E30 , if anyone knows roughly how long it would take?

cost involved?

hmm if anyone on here is capable to do a swap??

oh and will it need a cert at the end of it?

cheers in advance!

ryan

Edited by bimmer boy

ryan......best bet would be do probably cut your losses and start again.....these things happen....and there not much you can do now

as for fixing the rust or getting a body and doing a swap....will cost you sh*t loads, even doing all the work yourself, and at the end of the day you would have an auto 320. you can pick up 318's, 320's, for 2g ish so why not ?

Engine and trans swap.......in and out through the bottom takes less than an hour if the donor car is the same spec as your engine. I would do it for nothing just to put an end to the maddness

Guest Andrew

Engine and trans swap.......in and out through the bottom takes less than an hour if the donor car is the same spec as your engine. I would do it for nothing just to put an end to the maddness

agreed its easy -

But I would wreck your car.

can i do it?

im sure i can borrow a tractor from up at the farm

Isnt engine swap / fixing your current car the only way you'll keep a beama ? I thought ur parents were pretty anti you getting another.

Isnt engine swap / fixing your current car the only way you'll keep a beama ? I thought ur parents were pretty anti you getting another.

yep, cos if i dont keep the bimmer i dont think i will be allowed to get another one unless i can prove that i didnt just waste my money one a car i have only driven a few times

yea my mum was anti bout having two bimmers sitting round

but she says its ok if is sort stuff out quick so i wont have two sitting around for too long

w3rd, parts car etc..... fill your back lawn, mothers are weak at heart, she'll give up naggin ya after a week or so.

easiest thing to do would be to get a runner, or at least a 320 with a blown engine or auto or diff, converting a 318/316 to 320 in my opinion will be a prick, there's always stuff that turns out to be a pain in the arse, and, if you're doing it all yourself and have limited knowledge then it can be nasty....

yeah, because i dont really need a car at the moment any way but yeah i might just hold out until i find a e30 which i can just do a straight swap with the engine or gear box or both so its less hassle, and wont need a cert etc

or just get a good new one thats doesnt hav any problems, which is wat i should have done in the first place but didnt etc etc

but yeah cheers for the help guys