Sign in to follow this  
thirdkide30

Not starting. Pump problem?

Drove the car for quite awhile few days ago (from west to south) and turned it off, then started again from mangere to puhinui. Stopped and turned the car off, then wouldnt start again. When i first started it when i stopped it started for a quick second and sounded like a rotary/misfire type sound. Got it towed home and it started again at home, day after i started it and went fine till i went up a few meters to get gas and turned it off. Didnt start again after and till now. Have chanegd the pump and nothing.

No hum on the pump when started.

Put a volt meter on there and got 7 volts.

What could be the problem?

there could be heaps of problems.

has it got any fuel in it?

Take the fuel hose off the rail and put it in a bottle, then turn the car over and see if anything comes out.

Then take the spark plug leads off and put a spark plug in one and ground it in the valve cover, if you see a spark thats good.

If the previous two work then get a compression gauge and check all the cylinders.

If its not even turning over - Roll it down a hill and try start it.

Fuel filters are prone to blocking.

Also check that you are get 12V at the battery, then when turning the ignition see if this is affected.

Check the ignition switch

It was starting before so im sure its not ignition switch

there could be heaps of problems.

has it got any fuel in it?

Take the fuel hose off the rail and put it in a bottle, then turn the car over and see if anything comes out.

Then take the spark plug leads off and put a spark plug in one and ground it in the valve cover, if you see a spark thats good.

If the previous two work then get a compression gauge and check all the cylinders.

If its not even turning over - Roll it down a hill and try start it.

Fuel filters are prone to blocking.

Also check that you are get 12V at the battery, then when turning the ignition see if this is affected.

Plugs were already tested and had spark.

Definitley heaps of fuel in the tank.

Will try the voltage test and fuel rail test soon. Im hoping it is just filter. But when i turn the key the pump doesnt make the humming sound but does have voltage passing and have replaced it with another pump and still no hum..

Also does anyone know what voltage the pump is meant to be getting? and also the coil pack?

edit: could it be the fuel filter?cos when i got it towed the car was tilted which would have passed fuel through and when started the fuel would still have been pressurized by the pump which wouldve kept it running..

Edited by thirdkide30

I say ignition switch because I had the exact same issues as you, one day it would start the next it wouldn't, and it would die while I drove it too. When you turn the ignition on it turns on the relay to the fuel pump etc will be why it doesn't hum. I'm no mechanic but you asked for help, my 2c.

E: I had a wire short out on the dash causing a under dash fire, this in turn melted wires together on the ignition switch which is why it started playing up and once replaced it was fine.

My thread here may help: http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....2&hl=nathan

Also look at the PDF in this and go from there, it's the best place to start, hence why it's a sticky: http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=27120

Hope that helps.

Edited by Brams

Oh cheers for that link. Will check the ignition switch. Anything in particular i should be looking for on it? Burnt out or something and any tests i can do to test it? Ill follow the link u gave. Hoping it works as need to get the manual box in.....