Sign in to follow this  
sammcj2000

WTB - Key with RF Remote For 93' E34 540i

With the 540i I just purchased comes a key and a big ugly RF unit with a single button.

I want to replace this as cheap as possible with a key that has a built in button for remote central locking.

Apparently the alarm in my E34 is a "3G Mk1"

"3G Mk1 (sometimes known as 3C) – This system was used on the E34 & E36 up to 1996 and uses a static code The "missing corner" single button fob is only user programmable with some difficulty. You’ll need a working fob, then you need to solder and de-solder connections on the new fob circuit to match (See below for details). The other option is programming by a BMW Dealer/BMW Independent/Sigma Alarm Agent. Only one siren type was used (see below). Fobs turn up regularly on eBay for around £5 to £10.

The alarm module comes in two parts. The module (the large bit) and the remote receiver (the small bit).

Those familiar with the 3G Mk2 below will note that the module is identical except for the absence of the coding switch. It is possible to upgrade the 3G Mk1 to a 3G Mk2 by replacing the entire module or just the remote receiver part but you need to check the wiring is identical.

For both the above systems you may have read articles on the web that state you can program the alarm by opening the boot, closing the door, turning the ignition on 5 times, etc. These instructions are for the USA spec alarm made by Alpine and apart from giving your neighbours a laugh they won’t do anything in UK spec cars regardless of the system you have."

Edited by sammcj

Get a clever sparky to remove the system and replace it with a more modern alarm system. As I said in PM ... in 40 years I've never ever seen one like that.

Get a clever sparky to remove the system and replace it with a more modern alarm system. As I said in PM ... in 40 years I've never ever seen one like that.

Yeah... that might be the go :(