Sign in to follow this  
beeeamer

E36 wiper arms - coupe vs sedan

on my E36 sedan, the wiper arms are quite noticeable and sit relatively high up the windscreen and annoy me because i'd rather they sit down lower, out of the way. i've tried adjusting the arms, but any lower and they mess up the bonnet when it's opened.

i had a look an identical year E36 coupe today and noticed they have different wipers that sit much lower/flush. Should there be any reason that the coupe wiper arms cannot be fitted to a sedan?

I hope I am getting what you are referring as "tall". Maybe you have some really tall wiper blades? How about those flat 1 piece aero wiper blades like on the late model VW/Audi/BMW from within the last couple years?

Nah I already have those flat wipers, it's the actual metal wiper arm that's the problem. I'll take a picture of what I mean tomorrow :)

could be more to do with the bonnet, I think the coupe ones go further up?

Coupe and Sedan bonnets are different.

What do you mean by adjusting the arms?

As in you unbolted them and repositioned where they sit at the lowest level?

righty, have taken some pictures of mine and an identical year coupe i found at Turners.

there are some slight differences, it's nothing major but they are slightly different and the drivers arm isn't as visible from inside (can't see the spring mechanism underneath etc)

blue is my sedan and red is the coupe

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

went to the wreckers today and checked out some E36's, looks like later model sedans have the different wiper like mine. seems to be 3 or 4 different wiper styles with different spring mechanisms too.

just picked up an earlier sedan wiper, much better now!

i think the wreckers thought i was slightly insane tho... haha