Sign in to follow this  
Deano

Replacing vanos with non-vanos

A 1993 E36 320i non-ews engine with a cracked head. A non-vanos engine should still work as a replacement provided all the electrical components on the engine are swapped over. Should be able to run the original management as the vanos works on oil pressure so just leave the power feed disconnected?

Why would you want to do this? You will lose an awful lot of power for starters.

I believe it's a straight swap, but think you will need to change the computer to the non vanos one. All the electrics are the same, so no need to swap them or the loom, should all plug up.

A bit of mid range power loss, but otherwise the same, not a big difference at all.

Edited by Silver Fox

Why would you want to do this? You will lose an awful lot of power for starters.

I sold the engine fully disclosed it was non-vanos, sent it to Invercargill and the buyer turns round and says his car is Vanos and wants to return it...so looking for options

I believe it's a straight swap, but think you will need to change the computer to the non vanos one. All the electrics are the same, so no need to swap them or the loom, should all plug up.

A bit of mid range power loss, but otherwise the same, not a big difference at all.

Thanks..I thought the ECU had no part to play in control of the vanos as its works on oil pressure?

I will see if the guy still wants to go ahead and install it..

Yes but there is an electronic solenoid controlled by the ECU that controls the flow of oil to the VANOS unit.