Sign in to follow this  
skyline_400r

E46 jerking at traffic lights

My 2002 E46 318i automatic keeps jerking at traffic lights & round-abouts!

Recently I had my inspection 1 done, o-rings and gaskets replaced at the dealer. After my 1st visit I noticed the oil were leaking at a rate of 1L a week. Went back and had the sump gasket replaced.

Then white smoke and burning smell came out from the exhaust, and the car started jerking at traffic lights and round abouts when I accelerate lightly. So i went back for the 3rd visit and complained. The dealer said they have 1 of the o-rings misplaced, and fixed it for free

However after my 3rd visit, the car is still jerking, and now black soot are coming out from the exhaust when it jerks!! I notice that it happens at 1500-2000rpm and more noticeable when i have my AC on.

Q1. Would have anything to do with my AC, the bad job done by the dealer, a blocked cat. converter, or would it be the gearbox/torque converter failing. Would anyone be able to give me any ideas?

Q2. Should I go back to the dealer or should I go to another workshop for a check?

My 2002 E46 318i automatic keeps jerking at traffic lights & round-abouts!

Recently I had my inspection 1 done, o-rings and gaskets replaced at the dealer. After my 1st visit I noticed the oil were leaking at a rate of 1L a week. Went back and had the sump gasket replaced.

Then white smoke and burning smell came out from the exhaust, and the car started jerking at traffic lights and round abouts when I accelerate lightly. So i went back for the 3rd visit and complained. The dealer said they have 1 of the o-rings misplaced, and fixed it for free

However after my 3rd visit, the car is still jerking, and now black soot are coming out from the exhaust when it jerks!! I notice that it happens at 1500-2000rpm and more noticeable when i have my AC on.

Q1. Would have anything to do with my AC, the bad job done by the dealer, a blocked cat. converter, or would it be the gearbox/torque converter failing. Would anyone be able to give me any ideas?

Q2. Should I go back to the dealer or should I go to another workshop for a check?

go back and insist that someone comes with you(or you go with them) and demonstrate...

when you say "dealer" is that an official dealer (eg. Team McMillan) the place you bought it from? or just a random mechanic?

Try updating your profile skyline_400r with your location. We might then be able to offer some suggestions or help. If your in Aucks I would be happy to check it for you.

Dealer as in an offical BMW dealer in Auckland (not gonna mention names)

but I can say I have many bad experience with them (BMW dealers) except the one in Hamilton

when you say "dealer" is that an official dealer (eg. Team McMillan) the place you bought it from? or just a random mechanic?

Could I come in tomorrow or wednesday? I am going oversea the end of this week and I really want to fix it (or at least find out what is wrong) before I go

Try updating your profile skyline_400r with your location. We might then be able to offer some suggestions or help. If your in Aucks I would be happy to check it for you.

Could I come in tomorrow or wednesday? I am going oversea the end of this week and I really want to fix it (or at least find out what is wrong) before I go

Give me a call (09)2722546