Sign in to follow this  
bezzal

E39 530's

As per topic, I have driven a e39 328, and I was underwhelmed.

How do the 530's go?

Anything specific to the 530 to look out for over an above the other e39 issues?

Thnaks in advance.

As per topic, I have driven a e39 328, and I was underwhelmed.

How do the 530's go?

Anything specific to the 530 to look out for over an above the other e39 issues?

Thnaks in advance.

goes enough for me ..... the engine is used is an option in pretty much every serries bmw, many people think it to be the best mid range engine bmw have ever produced. finding parts is no issue if there was a problem and they are probably cheaper than parts for the v8 i would think.

Really depends what you are looking for - my 525i I find quite adequate - admittedly no rocket ship off the mark but still quite ok & still has long legs. And... can still get me in trouble with the law.

The 530i is a very good, well balanced car & as Matt has said - generally regarded as the best & best balanced - the V8 obviously better power wise but these cars have a steering box as opposed to a rack as on the 6's & are not as true & repsonsive steerers with this configuration.

If I were replacing - it would be a 530i - if not for an M5 :)

530i has quite a bit more grunt than the 528i. More torque at more usable revs.

The rears will light up in the wet and sometimes in the dry. Drive one. :)

Nothing wrong with the 4.4L V8 tho. :)

530i has quite a bit more grunt than the 528i. More torque at more usable revs.

The rears will light up in the wet and sometimes in the dry. Drive one. :)

Nothing wrong with the 4.4L V8 tho. :)

Yes that would probably be the preference, but I'm looking at a touring.

How have you found yours?

you may find a 528 manual in touring or sedan thought they are rare.I have never ever seen a 530 manual.The 530 goes well and can be surprisingly economical on gas

you may find a 528 manual in touring or sedan thought they are rare.I have never ever seen a 530 manual.The 530 goes well and can be surprisingly economical on gas

around 600km in city (with some mway) and 800 on open road (72L tank)

Edited by Matt45

A well balanced vehicle but still has faults, best used on the highway as they are a cruising car and designed to do just that. Get 735 to 750k on a tank of gas highway running using 95 if 98 goes up to 775 plus if a gentle foot is present. Have seen a couple of 528 tourers but as Paul stated have not come across any 530's. Where I to buy again I would be looking at Msport or Diesel version, 2003 models. This has been tempered by the rise in the ruc and rego charges placed on the diesels lately. Even after owning a 530 for 4 years I'am still amased at the amount of plastic these vehicle's have in it's construction and still they tip the scales at around 1600kg's.

Cheers

A well balanced vehicle but still has faults, best used on the highway as they are a cruising car and designed to do just that. Get 735 to 750k on a tank of gas highway running using 95 if 98 goes up to 775 plus if a gentle foot is present. Have seen a couple of 528 tourers but as Paul stated have not come across any 530's. Where I to buy again I would be looking at Msport or Diesel version, 2003 models. This has been tempered by the rise in the ruc and rego charges placed on the diesels lately. Even after owning a 530 for 4 years I'am still amased at the amount of plastic these vehicle's have in it's construction and still they tip the scales at around 1600kg's.

Cheers

The RUC do take the gloss of initial purchase of deisel,but if deisel was taxed at the pump the same as petrol the effect is the same.It doesnt change the fact that deisels are very efficient.It looks as though the open road consumption of the 120D will be around 50 mpg.I havent had the opportunity yet to see what it does round town.It will be interesting because a lot of the running of this tank has been short trips,4 people in the car,across the city etc.A 530d m,sport would be an interesting proposition,esp a manual.

Edited by kiwi535

I came from an E36 328i auto and I find that the M54 is a different engine. Peppier and pulls more strongly from lower revs. I wonder if the M-sport has a shorter final drive and that may give it better acceleration but it is remarkably quick for a large car (1800kg).

The touring has been excellent. It is usually loaded up to the max and prefers long distance cruising or back road blasting to city driving. I've had some cooling issues but since fixed.. have had no further problems.

I've not been able to replicate the fuel consumption of 775km a tank. City driving (Hamilton tho) - gets me about 13.8l/100km and out of town driving I get about 8.3l/100km and if I'm really gentle.... I get under 8l/100 but its such a boring drive.

I've yet to see a 530i manual touring. good luck..

I came from a 540i Sedan to a 530i Touring.

Although the 530i does not have the 'throw you back in your seat' acceleration of the V8, I still find it a more pleasant car to drive - it corners a lot better, so overall you get there faster as you do not need to slow down in the corners as much B)

I chased a Subaru B4 Sedan home in the wet from Tekapo to Timaru last week, lots of twisty bits etc, and I was easily able to keep up with the 4WD Subby, in fact at times I wished he did not slow me down :lol:

My Touring has done 150k's and still feels nice and tight and does not rattle etc, they are a quality bit of kit as far as build and NVH levels are concerned - just wait till you need to take interior panels off, then you realize how well bolted together they are :D

Best of luck with youur search.

around 600km in city (with some mway) and 800 on open road (72L tank)

I am yet to reach these figures but I drive very spirited. Haha.

Love my 530, engine goes well. Handles really well too, drove it side by side with a E46 330i M-Sport and I prefer the feel of the E39 on the road.

V8 / worm & roller steering and Auto is just TOO slushy

What he said !! :lol:

I better go and take one for a drive! Thanks for the input.

Anyone have any issues with the self leveling suspension in the rear with the tourings?

I better go and take one for a drive! Thanks for the input.

Anyone have any issues with the self leveling suspension in the rear with the tourings?

only if they go wrong!

If the car has done lots of towing, it will fail at some point. I've had mine checked and it is still pristine (rubber bladders to hold the air) at 130K kms. If it fails, it is not cheap to replace but I believe some of the shops that do airbag suspensions may be able to help. Get it checked prior to purchase, especially if it comes with a towbar.

I just did a day trip from Hamilton to Mt Maunganui and my average consumption is 10l/100kms. Traffic was sh*t at the mount tho.

There are 2 530i M-sport tourings on TM.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-343084198.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-336157735.htm

Get the VIN and take it to BMW so you can get a printout of the options.

Cheers.

If the car has done lots of towing, it will fail at some point. I've had mine checked and it is still pristine (rubber bladders to hold the air) at 130K kms. If it fails, it is not cheap to replace but I believe some of the shops that do airbag suspensions may be able to help. Get it checked prior to purchase, especially if it comes with a towbar.

I just did a day trip from Hamilton to Mt Maunganui and my average consumption is 10l/100kms. Traffic was sh*t at the mount tho.

There are 2 530i M-sport tourings on TM.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-343084198.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-336157735.htm

Get the VIN and take it to BMW so you can get a printout of the options.

Cheers.

like the look of the second one.Dont like the wheel tyre combo(looks like they have fitted too low profile tyres) of the first one or the fact its missing the screen/stereo.

im pretty sure the 1 at buy right failed a pre purchase inspection.

As for the other one if those rims are genuine they would be worth abit.

Alot of what is on trade me was there when i was looking 2-3 months ago so don't be afraid to put in a lower offer

I have been following the E39 Touring market on TM for 18 months and they do sit for a while. The 1 in Auckland 97 528i in light green with sunroof for $7.5k has been sitting for three months. I have another car to use now so are poking my touring away in the shed put it on hold for a while. Great cars but trying to sell anything at the moment is tough regardless of what it is.