Sign in to follow this  
jcerecke

E30 M20 almost starts.

So I get in the car this morning to go and get a coffee, and started it like usual, it fired up like usual, I started rolling and got about 1 meter and then it died. Figured it was just early and I stalled it, started it again and before I had a chance to move the clutch, it died again. Would turn over after that but not fire up at all. I assumed (since I had been driving around with petrol light on for 2 days and had parked it on a slight slope) that I was out of petrol, but after giving it 5L, it's still not starting.

Now it:

On first try, it's fire up for maybe 2 seconds if that and die.

On second try, it'll fire up for about half a second, and then die.

After that it only cranks.

If you leave it for around half an hour, it will repeat.

I can hear the fuel pump doing it's thing. I've also tried holding the throttle wide open and cranking it for about 8-10 seconds, maybe 3-4 times, but it hasn't made any difference. I've tried pulled the spark plug out but can't manage it with my fingers (is that normal?). I'm pulling on the boot, but I just can't get it out. You just pull right? No twisting or something silly? Can I use some pliers on it?

Edited by jcerecke

Try putting another 5L of fuel in it?

You may have clogged something like the fuel filter running out of fuel.

If there is no fuel, how can it clog anything?

Easy - pick up sh*t from the bottom of the tank

My guess as above - put some more gas in first

Yes the plug leads pull off, sometimes will stick. Can try some long nose pliers & twist the rubber boot around the plug (not at the top)

Ok, I'll go get some more fuel in the morning and let you know how things go! Cheers.

Easy - pick up sh*t from the bottom of the tank

Ive heard this before, but cant really see how it would happen. The pump sock pretty much sits on the bottom of the tank anyway so should suck up any sh*t that was there even with a full tank. And then the sock should catch anything anyway before it ever blocks the filter, unless the sock has a hole worn in it.

I have seen fine metal filings stuck to the sock on every pump I have removed, does anyone know where these come from? My guess is that they get scraped off the nozzle / filler when you are filling with gas and pull the filler in / out.

Yes, not typical but can happen. Usually from a damaged/ill fitting/removed sock. I have seen all these

An extra 5L has made no difference. I pulled the fuel something or rather relay and shorted pins 30 and 87, and that didn't make any difference either. Although it does look like someone's opened the relay up and then broken the case and taped it back together.

Argh! After mucking around with fuel related items, I notice the distributor cap is totally loose on one side! Open it up and it's ruined. So... where's the best place to get a new one? Don't need it any big hurry. Is there any big things to watch out for when replacing it? Apart from the obvious get the leads in the correct order.