Sign in to follow this  
SRacin

E34 Brake Pad Options

Hi All,

The rear brake pad linings on my 1995 e34 540i need replacing. I have called around and priced up genuine and repco (where I have a trade account) prices as followings;

Genuine Sensors 28.97+ = $33.32

Genuine Rear Pads 162.89+ = $187.32

Genuine Front Pads 189.63+ = $218.07

Repco TRW / Lucas $72.97 Trade (retail 114)

Repco Silverline $53.99 Retail

Silverline i know are rubbish so can strike that off. Now I have had previous experience with TRW's and they have held up ok, even on short sprint days as a fall back measure on my race car. However I do not have an insight into the comparison to factory BMW pads. Being genuine pads a ~2.5x the price are they worth it? I know TRW's are a dusty pad and I also know Genuine are dusty so much a muchness?

Are there other options? yellow/green/red stuff? what are they like

Anyone in chch got a hook up for trade discount on genuine?

Thanks

Logan

I ran Remsa's in my car (autostop) for about 1.5yrs, held up well...but yes dusty.

Currently have Hawk HPS in there and it stops very well, especially when warm. However these are dusty as well.

I got my pads from the USA for about the same price as those genuine ones listed above.

I've tried Lucas, Silverline, Trestor and Bendix (Cheaper BNT pad) and stock BMW in my cars. If theres one thing I've learnt over the years, tyres and brakes are the last place you want to skimp on.

My personal opinion below, which may differ from other peoples experience:

I'm inclined not to use Silverline and Trestor again, both were fairly substandard pads which gave poor performance less than half the life of the OEM BMW pads.

The Lucas pads were okay performing pads but I would still go better given the choice.

Bendix and BMW OEM were the best pads of the lot, both had very good performance and life span, the Bendix ones came out slightly more expensive than OEM. My recommendation for your car would be the OEM BMW brake pads, BMW learnt a thing or two while designing these and I think they're the best pad for the job without going to a race compound but that is hardly necessary.

EBC has mixed results with the race series guys which I'm not going to go into as I havent personally experienced these pads myself.

I think if your going to be going for a road race pad compound, would be a good idea to look into a full front / rear pad option as you dont want to upset the bias by having stronger pads in the rear. As mentioned above, hawk make a very good pad, I have tried the Hawk Blue and HP+ compound, both very good in there own right but at a guesstimate you'd be looking at $180-220+GST for front/rear if purchased in NZ.

Edited by bmw3

Thanks!

OEM sounds like the easiest / Safest option. Its just the price i dont like :D Is there much trade discount on genuine parts?

Thanks!

OEM sounds like the easiest / Safest option. Its just the price i dont like :D Is there much trade discount on genuine parts?

car club members get a small discount at the dealers.Try an independent bmw service place they may be able to source oe at slightly better rates.As perverse at it may sound I do try to support the dealer when i can,they are the source of all our cars at some point!

Sounds like a sensible option,

Be sure to give Gavin @ Euroitalian a call, he may have a good pad option of OEM quality that he can recommend for you to try. Whats best is he is a forum sponsor so can offer you a bimmersport discount (I think 15% without check). Even without discount his price and service is very competitive.

Details: Ph: (09) 444 9817

Fax: (09) 444 4755

Email: ento@clear.net.nz

or checkout the sponsors page here

Cheers,

Andy

I went threw many differant pads on my 34 with average results the cheapest all rounder was both roadhouse and mintyle? something like that plus some legal braided lines.

Depending how far you want to go as in an upgraded i desided upgraded thus fitted GT4 porche 360mm rotors and brembos,still could do with more but thats due to my driving.

I went threw many differant pads on my 34 with average results the cheapest all rounder was both roadhouse and mintyle? something like that plus some legal braided lines.

Depending how far you want to go as in an upgraded i desided upgraded thus fitted GT4 porche 360mm rotors and brembos,still could do with more but thats due to my driving.

I ended up going with genuine. Had a chat to the parts person and mentioned I am member of the Car Club and got a small discount ($200inc)

Any tricks to fitting them? other than normal brake pad changes on most other cars?

Cheers

Logan

I ended up going with genuine. Had a chat to the parts person and mentioned I am member of the Car Club and got a small discount ($200inc)

Any tricks to fitting them? other than normal brake pad changes on most other cars?

Cheers

Logan

no real tricks apart from filling a 45 deg edge on the trailing and leading edge of the pads to start chattering,then brake in proccedure wont be much being a standard pad but use saome dot5 fluid when you bleed them and bleed the rears at the same time.

Cheers

Logan

did he ask for any id for the club???

Abort pad changed.

Discs are getting down to no servicable, and appears to be still 5mm of meat left on the pads. When do the sensons normally trip? seems pretty early to me. Is there a minimum pad thickness spec anywhere?

Abort pad changed.

Discs are getting down to no servicable, and appears to be still 5mm of meat left on the pads. When do the sensons normally trip? seems pretty early to me. Is there a minimum pad thickness spec anywhere?

the sensors trip when they wear through