Sign in to follow this  
Yamahoo

Getrag troubles

Hypothetically speaking, what would break if someone were to engage reverse at 100km? Getrag 220 :rolleyes:

Edited by Ross

By the way, "Hypothetically" has a name, and it's not me - but I have just towed said hypothetical car back home......

Hypothetically speaking, what would break if someone were to engage reverse at 100km? Getrag 220 :rolleyes:

your wallet?

Yeah I guess. Apparently it was quite unspectacular, just a quick "pop" then nothing.

I would assume it would have over revved the engine and destroyed the gearbox? but I've got no idea.

Could you even get the car into reverse... the last time I tried putting a car anywhere near reverse whilst moving forward very slowly it didn't like it and growled at me :(

It's obviously "box out" day tomorrow, I just wondered whether anyone knew if it was likely to be a complete strip down (or more likely, a new box) or is there a shear pin type gizmo that may have just let go on the input shaft?

LOL , another reason why not to lend cars

No, it's his car (My son's e36 328)

Could you even get the car into reverse... the last time I tried putting a car anywhere near reverse whilst moving forward very slowly it didn't like it and growled at me :(

Yeah, that's what I would have thought, although if your reverse gate spring is getting weak it can (and obviously does!) happen. The closest I ever got to it was driving my 351 XD Panelvan back in the day and forgetting I was in the auto not the manual, coming to a corner I went for the old downshift, stamped on the brake and slipped the trans up into reverse. Just about forward rolled the thing and I sure was suddenly wide awake.

before pulling it apart....

check

clutch, box, driveshaft, diff and axles might be something else

any probs give me a call

Jon

Yeah thanks, I haven't even looked at it - just hooked the rope to my ute and dragged him home, but I'm wondering whether it might just have snapped off a selector fork or something - which would explain why it was as unspectacular as he said. Here's hoping anyhow.

The outcome!! pulled it out this arvo and cracked up :o

Posted Image

Simon

Where has all the clutch gone? oh there it is, a fluffy mess on the ground :blink::P