Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Powering an amp

What is the standard solution? Run a fused power cable from the battery under the bonnet, or put a battery in the boot? How do you charge a battery in the boot?

Never installed an amp in the boot before, always under the passenger seat, so just wondering what others have done.

It's a bit of a pain: RCA's from headunit to amp, speaker wire back to front speakers, power cable from battery to amp, and then since I want to be able to pull all the audio out easily when I sell, regular speaker wires as normal.

Bloody messy!

Ideas?

I've alway run a power cable to the boot from the engine bay...... shifting your battery to the boot is harder to do, and way more expensive....

you could run a deep cycle battery in the boot, but to make sure it has enough power (an amp will run it flat in a few hours) you'd need to run a power cable from the front, as an absolute minimum..... so therefore, waste of time....

get an amp wiring kit from ripco, they have heaps of powercable, speaker cable and 5m rcas, rca quality probably isnt the top of the line but for like $50 I don't really care

just attach to ya positive terminal on ya battery in the boot...oh wait

my bad

us 325 guys have it easy

haha no easy way about it sorry.

Just have to run a dirty great power cable down the length of the car. E30's are relativly easy though, pull off the plastic covers on the door sills, underneath then are channels for all the other wires, theres plenty of room for extra wires. Its not too bad when you figure out where everything can go. Hell, i have RCA's from headunit to amps in back of boot then speaker cable going forward again to the front speakers, more speaker cable from the headunit to back speakers, aswell as other RCA for subs, amp turn-on wire and the main power cable.

Note: Just make sure you run power cables down a different side of the car to your RCA and speaker cables, otherwise you can get nasty noises in the system.

Thanks for that tip about separating the power cable from signal cables - I know about that, but hadn't thought about it and would have found out the hard way.

Also remembered the remote on wire just before I read your posts so cool there too.

Looks like I'm going to have some fun pulling the car apart - cheers for the help.

Oh and Gus - helpful as always :P

Edit: Oh yeah, I've seen those wiring kits in Repco, but with a father as a sparky I get all that kind of thing at trade from the wholesalers, so sweet.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey