Sign in to follow this  
Murdock

E30 suspension setups

Thanks lads. Looks like I don't have to bust out the line I said I was going to bust out. Bust, ooowwwuut.

I will say, re: "tweak em (in rebound)", that shock movement is highly dynamic, fast compressions (hitting potholes/large bumps at high speed), slow compressions (landing jumps, weight transfer), and fast compression frequency (braking bumps/rumble strips). Proper shock manufacturers and shops that set up shocks have a nifty wee thing called a shock dyno. It maps out the resistance the shock is making across it's range at all different speeds, and can run them until fade occurs (fade is bad, cheap shocks will fade very fast on a NZ road). You can have the shock have a rising rate (most are this naturally), or linear rate. Even have 2 or 3 separate levels of resistance depending on compression speed and/or shock position. Turning a 30 clicker knob doesn't change the fundamentals of how the shock moves, it just shifts the graph up or down the compression resistance axes.

I used to do quite a bit of suspension tuning; on a mountain bike haha. The old Marzocchi Shivers were horrendous for fade, but my word they were nice forks. Last bike had 4 way adjustment on the rear shock (High and Low speed compression, rebound, and platform breakaway point), forks were just bound and rebound (I got those custom valved for free too, mmm sponsors) and how you set that up defines whether you win races or not.

yackiddy yack.

I've got Koni and King "low" not the race series springz.

Henry's car is tits, just btw. Never been around a round-a-bout, or over a jutter bar so fast in my life D:

I've never stopped that fast either. My back was f**king sore for a week after a ride in his car when it was M20 powered.

Stocks. George Stocks. They don’t seem to discount as they are cheap as anyways. Just go and see them.

Got to have a chat to you at some point Henry regarding setting up my 325i. See you next motosoc trackday if I've got the manual in!

You have about 5 weeks or so! I'll have new clutch/running-well by then so come for a ride around the puna