Sign in to follow this  
NVADER

M52b25 E36 Chatter from engine bay

Hey There,

Tried doing a few searches for this but it's quite hard to describe so forgive me if I'm doubling up-

I've just made the move away from Mitsi turbo's/glass cannons back to another E36 so still a little rusty on the diagnosis side of things...

My '95 325i has an occasional tap at idle coming from the engine bay, on closer inspection, the sound seems to be coming from the centrifugal fan but I guess it could be anything in that region although it's definately not the timing chain or the vanos unit making the noise.

When the car's put into drive, the chattering increases although it can hardly be heard inside the car. Once it gets above 15-25km/h it seems to go away.

The previous owner reckons the aircon unit just needs to be tensioned a bit more but it doesn't really sound like belt slip to me.

Going to have a better look at it tonight but any suggestions would be great.

Cheers in advance

Possibly an idler bearing, tensioner bearing or water pump bearing. Also check for splits in both drive belts.

On closer inspection it's definately the tensioner making the noise. It's occasionally vibrating back and forth. Belt's seem to be fine. Going to try some belt grip and see if that makes a difference otherwise I guess I'm looking for a bearing :(