Sign in to follow this  
Jamex316

E39 Stereo convert to monitor

Just want to know if its a hassle converting the factory cd player/headunit to a factory monitor unit?

Do you have folding rear seats? (makes a big difference for the wiring loom)

It is doable but you do need to replace the wiring loom, if your car is jap it probably doesn't have the folding rear seats so you can easily get a system/loom out of another donor car. If you have folding seats you will probably have difficulty finding a loom to suit.

from a jap donnor you can use ....

loom (with some modification if you want nav)

tv tuner aka video module (universal)

monitor (get a 16:9 widescren one 10x better than old 4:3)

nav you will need the european version rather than jap

radio module (you will need either new bm54 world tuner or older bm24? which is the euro version)

fixtures fittings and gps/tv antennas with their amps

im sure hotwire will be along shortly! he knows pretty much all there is to know about doing this.

^^^^^^ yep to above

I'm looking at one that is possibly a nz new not imported.

How much will the conversion cost? Looks expensive...

Yeah thats certainly in intresting concept. Would be intresting to get a rough estimate as to how much the conversion would set you back

2k - 3k with nav

around 1500 with no nav (assuming you can use a jap loom)

(note this is a very approximate price)

EDIT: also forgot to say that there maybe some coding required for the modules (mainly nav i think) but nothing major.

Edited by Matt45

Pricy for just tv with no mp3 or dvd play...

I wonder what people do for playing mp3's, or don't they...maybe I'm just used to my alpine headunit.

Pricy for just tv with no mp3 or dvd play...

I wonder what people do for playing mp3's, or don't they...maybe I'm just used to my alpine headunit.

I'm currently using a Dice Media Bridge for ipod/usb flash and handsfree.

It takes the place of the cd changer.

Alternatively you could get a Dynavin unit ... they do look a little cheap however.

I'm pretty sure that you can't use a random headunit (alpine) with factory amp (someone correct me if I'm wrong?)

How do you find the Dice Media Bridge Matt? Sorry to pull away from the main topic

Works as advertised, other than back and forward tracks i do all browsing on my iphone as its far quicker. Depending on the stereo version in your car you may or maynot get the onscreen text (i don't).

Sound quality is good and bluetooth handfree works fine.

depends what the alternative is ... if you want to keep factory system its either that or a GROM ... intravee are good but expensive and hard to find.

I would buy one again.

Also if you have the newer e39 business stereo with the flat pin connectors on the back it is possible to get a AUX 3.5mm headphone jack in without any 3rd party modules.

If you fit TV - you can also add a separate DIN mount DVD (with remote) unit to connect via video module AV input

Oh was just thinking the costs of getting something like this installed into a BMW that is simply running stock 6 CD Changer in the back.

I dont care for the main features (such as GPS, Camera's, etc). Im only after Ipod interface and possible CD player.

Just not sure wither I could handle having to sit there and through my Ipod through the factoy BMW headunit. Would like to see it in person.

Has anyone installed like a double din unit to mimic the above link?

Oh was just thinking the costs of getting something like this installed into a BMW that is simply running stock 6 CD Changer in the back.

I dont care for the main features (such as GPS, Camera's, etc). Im only after Ipod interface and possible CD player.

Just not sure wither I could handle having to sit there and through my Ipod through the factoy BMW headunit. Would like to see it in person.

Has anyone installed like a double din unit to mimic the above link?

Model you have quoted is for a E46 (3series) they do make a E39 version but it does not look as nice cosmeticly.

These Dynavin units WILL NOT work with the BMW CD changer you will have to use the single disc reader that they have built in.

The advantage of the Dynavin units is if you have a standard E39 business stereo it is a simple case of plug and play.

PHEW! *wipes the sweat off my forehead* Was waiting to get grilled for sec lol

Yeah thats cool. Would just love to have a big screen/headunit like that but dont want to fully butcher my car with something that seriously doesnt look like it should be there if you know what I mean.

Sorry if this is a real silly question too but what are the Dynavin units?

Thanks Matt

PHEW! *wipes the sweat off my forehead* Was waiting to get grilled for sec lol

Yeah thats cool. Would just love to have a big screen/headunit like that but dont want to fully butcher my car with something that seriously doesnt look like it should be there if you know what I mean.

Sorry if this is a real silly question too but what are the Dynavin units?

Thanks Matt

Dynavin is a taiwanese (i think) brand, the link you quoted is a Dynavin unit but it is the model for a E46 BMW 3 serries, the E39 5 serries model is the same brains in a different case to fit the different dash of the car (it also has a slightly smaller screen).

Edit:

When i first got my car i looked very seriously at getting one of these units in the end decided against it 1. cost of over $1000 for a 3rd party unit i hadn't played with before and 2. For me it doesnt look "stock" enough.

Also I would never replace a factory monitor system with one of these units if the car already had it.

Here's a pic of a E39 Dynavin installed

Posted Image

Edited by Matt45

The advantage of the Dynavin units is if you have a standard E39 business stereo it is a simple case of plug and play.

So for aurgment sakes, lets say I brought a BMW with a completely stock FM Radio/6 Disc Stacker/Tape Deck - unit (argh that sounded better in my head lol). All I would need to do is buy a unit like the one on TradeMe (but with the correct model) and it’s all plug and play?

Are there any other units like this but without all the other extra's (GPS, Camera's, etc). I've raked my brain over this because this is a HUGE concern for me in regards to getting a 5xx BMW (changing over the headunit to have an easy functionality of IPod accessibility)

So for aurgment sakes, lets say I brought a BMW with a completely stock FM Radio/6 Disc Stacker/Tape Deck - unit (argh that sounded better in my head lol). All I would need to do is buy a unit like the one on TradeMe (but with the correct model) and it’s all plug and play?

Are there any other units like this but without all the other extra's (GPS, Camera's, etc). I've raked my brain over this because this is a HUGE concern for me in regards to getting a 5xx BMW (changing over the headunit to have an easy functionality of IPod accessibility)

Yes as far as i am aware the dynavin units simply plug and screw in to replace the existing standard factory headunit.

the Dynavins have GPS built in and come with a small antenna that can be mounted under the dash. They also have a large range of AV input/out options on them so ipod/usb gaming consoles etc can be connected.

Also note that you can modify the software yourself so you can chose from a range of skins etc.

Dynavin site:

http://www.dynavin.com/products/product_dnv_e39.php

Mspec's thread he has the E46 version:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....ynavin&st=0

Thanks for that Matt. Went through the entire thread (great way to kill an afternoon at work) and did a bit of research around names and places that people had recommended.mentioned.

Did you end up getting one yourself? I also remember seeing TradeMe User Song something.......... about the same topic I think.

I managed to find who they were talking about: TradeMe Name: Song80

Was interesting watching M-Spec's video on YouTube (nothing wrong with the music BTW :D ) I thought this certainly put an interesting spin on the whole ordeal as I originally was considering just getting a DICE MediaBridge but if you double the cost (going from TradeMe prices) the trade-off is FAR superior IMO

I did however notice that in M-Spec's first video he was using a stylus (could have been a pen Im not entirely sure) but how do you find it using your fingers?

When i first got my car i looked very seriously at getting one of these units in the end decided against it 1. cost of over $1000 for a 3rd party unit i hadn't played with before and 2. For me it doesnt look "stock" enough.

Also I would never replace a factory monitor system with one of these units if the car already had it.

Shouldnt have to use a stylus (it doesn't come with one) unless you have overly fat fingers ... i suspect he just used a pen to make it easier to film it without getting hand in the way.

Dynavin is a taiwanese (i think) brand, the link you quoted is a Dynavin unit but it is the model for a E46 BMW 3 serries, the E39 5 serries model is the same brains in a different case to fit the different dash of the car (it also has a slightly smaller screen).

Edit:

Here's a pic of a E39 Dynavin installed

Posted Image

Sorry but BLAA YUK! Still can't get used to the E39 version

Sorry but BLAA YUK! Still can't get used to the E39 version

Hmmmmm yeah the E46 version certainly was, aaaaaaaaah more appealing to the eye.

Still would be intersting seeing an E39 version in person