Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Dave

E61 Radio conversion

Hi All

Ive had a good search through the forum but am struggling to find the answer I want.

Im considering buying a 2005 525i wagon (E61) that is for sale in ChCh. As a Jap import it has DVD nav unit in the back and the stereo/TV is in Japan mode.

Is this unit user changeable to NZ settings and is the NAV unit just a change of DVD disk? If not user changeable, are there other options to get it converted.

It won't be on my short list of prospective cars if the stereo/TV stays in Japan format.

Cheers Dave

Dave - it is on here.

Nav - NO - not just a disc, requires a totally different system for here - a CCC in the dash & then serious coding - basically rewriting the "vehicle order" to tell the Jap car it now has Euro nav. I am aware of some horror stories with people that have tried this but also know it is doable.

I understand radio can be reprogrammed with specfic coding - not recognised by BMW NZ though.

TV - haven't played with an E60 system - the earlier cars have world programmable video modules

"Remning" on here has experience with this in vehicles with "MOST" system.

Cheers Grant,

Appreciate you taking the time to reply. I am not a Beemer owner yet but joined the forum to get the inside word from guys like you.

I am also looking at a 2001 525i which has already been converted over to NZ. A little older than what I would like but might get to the top of the prefered list.

Cheers Dave

Cheers Grant,

Appreciate you taking the time to reply. I am not a Beemer owner yet but joined the forum to get the inside word from guys like you.

I am also looking at a 2001 525i which has already been converted over to NZ. A little older than what I would like but might get to the top of the prefered list.

Cheers Dave

The older E39 systems are much easier to convert so even if you got one that required conversion it wouldn't be a huge deal.

HI,

I asume it is this car ? Trademe

Very Nice B)

Have you contacted this person Conversion

There was also another trader on Trademe called 'Song' or something, but I cannot find his listing at the moment - I think he MAY have been on this forum too?

If you decide to go the E39 way, Grant is definatley the man :P He helped me update mine

Yes that is the car

The E39 is also quite nice but just getting a bit old.

I will take them both for a drive - that may help me decide.

I had seen Conversion and went 'Wow' at the price but it might be worth it if I can push the price of the car down.

HI,

I asume it is this car ? Trademe

Very Nice B)

Have you contacted this person Conversion

There was also another trader on Trademe called 'Song' or something, but I cannot find his listing at the moment - I think he MAY have been on this forum too?

If you decide to go the E39 way, Grant is definatley the man :P He helped me update mine

Edited by Crazy Dave

That Trademe add is actually BMWorkshop advertising .... go in and see them or ring them if you have any questions they should be able to give you some definitive answers.

For those following this thread, this is the other car (the one that I consider to be a little to old) that Im looking at

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=313184489

So from all you old hands at things BMW, I welcome comments on the merits of either vehicle

That Trademe add is actually BMWorkshop advertising .... go in and see them or ring them if you have any questions they should be able to give you some definitive answers.

For those following this thread, this is the other car (the one that I consider to be a little to old) that Im looking at

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=313184489

So from all you old hands at things BMW, I welcome comments on the merits of either vehicle

Perhaps a e39 wagon with a factory motorsport kit on it would look a bit more modern? ... just a thought.

Perhaps a e39 wagon with a factory motorsport kit on it would look a bit more modern? ... just a thought.

Actually it is all personal taste of course but I quite like the pre 2004 body styling. Even the the interior styling is quite acceptable to me. As mentioned, it is the age and to a certain extent some of the small features that concern me. Ive got to hand it to the design team, the little features in the boot space, window blinds (Jap import), spare wheel space utilisation etc must have seemed brilliant when they first came out and keep getting improved upon each year.

BM Workshop in Botany can do all retrofits for these cars, Navigation and radio, can remove seatbelt gongs and alter almost anything you want, give Joe a call regarding this