Sign in to follow this  
Jeddy

Adapters: Rules and Regs

I picked up a set of wheels that are 4x114 and am wanting to stick them on the e30 using adapters. Now firstly I know this requires a cert, which it will get but I want to know what adapters can and can't be used.

Theres a lot of info out there and I wanted to get some clarity. For instance what is and isn't legal when it comes to adapters? Do they bolt onto the hub or wheel? Hubcenticity? etc etc...

For example this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-355720760.htm

I get confused as to how they work, do you attach them to the wheel or the hub? Please explain how the work to a noob.

Also e30 centre bore is 57.1, where as new wheels are 66 or 73 iirc, how do I address this?

Cheers

I have done some work with cert's and the process.

The last I did with adapters, they need to be attached to the car, and be hubcentric.

The cert for road use is required.

Best advice is to select who is going to do the cert' and talk to them before you do anything else. They need to sign it off, and its their name and lisence on the line if its wrong.

I picked up a set of wheels that are 4x114 and am wanting to stick them on the e30 using adapters. Now firstly I know this requires a cert, which it will get but I want to know what adapters can and can't be used.

Theres a lot of info out there and I wanted to get some clarity. For instance what is and isn't legal when it comes to adapters? Do they bolt onto the hub or wheel? Hubcenticity? etc etc...

For example this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-355720760.htm

I get confused as to how they work, do you attach them to the wheel or the hub? Please explain how the work to a noob.

Also e30 centre bore is 57.1, where as new wheels are 66 or 73 iirc, how do I address this?

Cheers

Thos adaptors are legal with a cert. The cert laws state that adaptors must be hubcentric so you will have to use locating rings to make sure the adaptors and your wheels are located correctly. The adaptors bolt to your hubs and then the wheels bolt on to the adaptors. As mentioned above talk to your local certifier first

cheers

Its all on here under documents.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/

When building my car I just followed it to the letter and had no issues come cert time. My cert plate is totally full up with changes to the car.

Ok so the adapters get attached to the hub firstly. Is there any issue with this part being hub-centric or is it just the wheel that has to be hub-centric to the adapter? As the new wheels have a larger bore, i'm assuming i'll need hub-centric rings on them.

I will ring a certifier and see what they say.

Cheers

Both need to be hubcentric.

Ok so the adapters get attached to the hub firstly. Is there any issue with this part being hub-centric or is it just the wheel that has to be hub-centric to the adapter? As the new wheels have a larger bore, i'm assuming i'll need hub-centric rings on them.

I will ring a certifier and see what they say.

Cheers

I have full set of 25mm rear and 22mm front custom aliuminum spacers i had made up for my car before I

went full custom rims. They have studs in them and i have countersunk bolts (hightensile) (so dam expensive to by!!)

I was planning on selling them but jst hadnt got round to it.