Sign in to follow this  
nzhaystack

bleeding e30 clutch?

Hi guys,

Need some help on this one, have been doing some reasearch on the net and im getting thrown all over the place. A few things that would be helpful to know

1. How and in what order do you bleed to clutch (slave then master etc)

2. What method works the best

3. My clutch is noisy at the moment - will a bleeding help it?

Cheers

Mitchell

Oddly enough, have to do this today myself

(note don't tighten bleed screw too tight, may end up sheering off bleed valve and have to replace slave cylinder)

I believe, and this is by logic only and having the whole system apart and out of the car, that you bleed the system entirely by the slave cylinder, there isn't a place on the master cylinder to do so and it would be awefully difficult / messy due to its location behind the clutch pedal.

You should locate your slave cylinder on passengers side of gearbox, on the lower back side of it should find a rubber grommet, remove that, you will see a bleed valve, 7mm spanner will loosen that and you will see fluid start to come out, this will squirt out when clutch depressed.

Anyway, from here bleed like you would the brakes, its either a two person job, or a one person with a brick / broom handle / remote clutch depression device.

Easiest way take off the slave, undo screw push the rod in, tighten screw, let it come out. That way your pushing out the air and since it's closed when you let it come back out it sucks down more fluid.

Takes 4 or 5 goes for a completely dry system and can be done solo.

the real point of the thread has been missed mitchell, you ask, will bleeding the clutch remove a noise???

simple answer diagnosis, before you add further faults to a repair or waste your time and money looking in the wrong direction

give me a call mate

Jon

Edited by Jono51